Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pay per click options have given you the best results?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Default What pay per click options have given you the best results?

AdWords is the most popular, but has anyone tried other pay per click engines? Yahoo? MSN? One of the smaller options?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I have tried adwords, a couple of years back and it did give me reasonable results. It is maybe something that i should have continued with, however while i got some clicks initially it was getting to a point that the many of my keywords were getting disabled automatically because the views to clicks was to high i think.

It is something that i am hopeing to give another go in the near future, when i get something sorted out with the direction i want my business to go.

I would be interested to hear how others have gone with different networks, and maybe even if anyone can suggest something that is more geographically targeted then adwords.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I haven't used AdWords with my own site, but I do manage AdWords accounts for a couple of clients. One of my clients gets nearly all her traffic from AdWords and it leads to a good amount of money each month.

One of the things you might want to do is spend some time really digging deep on keyword phrases. You can probably find a lot of long tail phrases that don't cost much to bid on. You won't get a lot of clicks from any one, but if you bid on enough the traffic ads up, but still doesn't cost much per click.

In the past were you sending people to specific landing pages or did you direct them to your home page?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

It is something that i am going to have to look into again, as my business really needs a injection of get up and go.

Previously i was sending them to landing pages, which were part of the site, it had been a customer HTML site i built, which took many hours, however it was quite detailed information for a few ranges of products. I had about 5 main campaigns that each used a different ad, and subset of keywords, the most successful one was for laptops, which i end up selling about 4 or 5 units from adwords. The others at most gave me 1 or 2 sales, but mostly nothing.

What exactly do you mean by long tail phrases? Is this as in like a specific phrase, such as "Business Toner Supplies in Sometown"? or something different????
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's what I meant by long tail phrases. The phrases with more words. Each one won't get searched in great numbers but overall more than 50% of queries typed into a search engine are unique each month and are made up of those long tail phrases.

Laptops might get bid on by a lot of people and so the bid price goes up, but "Dell lattitude D800 2Gb ram" probably doesn't get searched for nearly as much. It shouldn't cost much to bid on and the person typing that is likely ready to buy.

I haven't used AdWords a lot myself since my site is a lead generation site and I can only take on so much work each month anyway. I'm planning on releasing a premium WordPress theme system in a month or two and once I have the sales page converting I'll drive traffic to the site with AdWords or any of the other contextual search ads.

Array

I used pay per click with Yahoo for a year. Sadly, the results were nothing to cheer about. It might be my site, but after much tweaking I think the traffic I got from yahoo just wasn't my target.

I haven't tried google, but I might in the future.
    CoachMorse.com (coaching website)
    Road to the Ironman (youtube channel)
    Follow me on Twitter

Array

Default Been working some with Google and Yahoo

I inherited a few ongoing campaigns that had been sort of cobbled together, and have had some interesting experiences. Generally, I'd say that you'll get more from Google than yahoo -- more traffic, more clicks, more revenue, and more tools.

The big google sinkhole is the content network. This one can kill a good campaign, so watch your content bids and monitor the reports to eliminate unrelated sites that can be soaking up impressions and killing your click through rates.
    Social Learning, not just socializing, plus the best blog I could throw together.
    Bankruptcy Questions answered, and Social Security Disability cases reviewed.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The general advice is usually to keep the search network and the content network advertising separate and for most people to not spend on the content network. Depends on your topic of course and your experience with contextual advertising.

Yahoo hasn't been able to compete with Google at all. They've tried, but don't seem to be able to build their search or content network to be as effective. It's odd since Yahoo bought Overture, which is the company that really got all the pay per click going. Yahoo had a head start, but let Google pass them by. Now they can't catch up.

I've heard that MSNs pay per click service is getting much better. I know they've been releasing a lot of tools that many search marketers really like.

Array

I think in any business the number one thing is if you have the lead don't let it go, which is where yahoo dropped the ball. It is a lot easier to keep a lead then to try and rebuild one that you lost. While it is possible, there is so much more work involved.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

And Yahoo has lost quite a few leads over the years. To think that in the beginning Yahoo helped fund Google and look at the two now.