Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incentivizing customers to refer family and friends as new customers

Okay.

I do feel that I want to try an incentive.

I was hoping that other members of this forum would weigh in.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Give people another day or two. It can be quiet here over the weekend and then pick up again once the week starts.

Don't let me stop you from offering incentives. Part of success in business is trying things and seeing what happens. You shouldn't do or not do something just because I have an opinion about it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Everyone is different but I can't say that I have ever been motivated by incentives. I never hesitate to recommend something I like or someone who I feel provides an excellent service. I have recommended this forum a number of times. I have recommended a lot of things over the years. I can't recall ever recommending something where there was something in it for me. I believe the broker I use has an incentive plan that will give me up to $ 250.00 per referral. I have recommended them to my son who opened an account with them. I have recommended them to a good friend who is retired with a wad of cash invested. However I never once did it through their referral program that would have had a return for me.

It sounds like the program you have in mind will come out of your pocket and I would be willing to bet that any extra return won't replace the outlay.

I started into sales at the age of 19. I read everything I could find about selling. I really found that beneficial. I have always believed that good salespeople are made not born. I had a very successful career in sales for a long time and would never have had the results I did without learning all I could about my profession. I think you would be better off investing your time and money in learning more about selling successfully.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

I agree with all Vangough said. I'll add that a $5 "incentive" can be insulting after buying an expensive phone. A bit tacky really. Along with Vangoughs comments give great service and give them your card and just plain ask them to recommend you.

Thank you, for the additional comments. I guess we'll see what happens, because I already sent out thank you notes (physical notes via US Mail) to my customers from the last two weeks.

Just to add some clarification. I work for an authorized retailer for a national cell phone company. The company does do referral bonuses, such as "refer a friend and receive a $100 VISA gift card" or things like that. If I do a referral special, it's on my own. I want to get customers to buy from me versus from anyone else because I am 100% commission sales and I'll get paid when I make sales. I have the power to discount product, but I can't give anything away for free. So, if I do something like "Refer a friend and both you and your friend gets $10 off an accessory purchase" the only thing I'm losing is commission on that sale. If I do a gift card "Refer a friend and get a $x gift card" that would mean I would have to take $x out of my pocket and puchase a gift card that may or may not get used. If I do the "referral credit" I only have to worry about it when they actually do use it.

Incentives do work, depending on the incentive and the service. I know of a credit union that will give you $100 if you open an account with an $100 or more deposit for 90 days, so after 90 days you'll have an extra $100 added to your balance. I signed up!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Let us know what happens and good luck. Like I said above, don't do or not do something just because of something I or anyone else says. I'm doubtful this will lead to many extra sales, but you never know until you try.

The reason I don't see it working is your customer will either like or dislike your service. If they like it, then no incentive is necessary. If they don't like it, I don't think a few dollars is going to get them to recommend a service they don't like to the people they care about most. Sure, incentives can work. I don't think any of us are saying they can't. We're just doubtful about the specific incentive you want to offer.

But again give it a try and see if it works. That's the only way to know.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals