Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phone book ad.

Default phone book ad.

Hello, our business has a full page phone book ad in our local phone book. This cost us some here around 15,000 annually just for this af alone. I personally think that it's ineffective and we could spend our advertising dollars more wisely. I have pitched the idea to the other members involved but they don't agree. Our local rep from the advertising company provides us with a list of leads and calls that said ad "generates" however I do not buy his sale pitch. I know a large portion of our customers are generated by word of mouth. I don't believe down sizing the ad or doing away with the ad all together would hurt our business at all.

What can I do to pitch this idea in a more persuasive way?

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by xandrew245x View Post
    Hello, our business has a full page phone book ad in our local phone book. This cost us some here around 15,000 annually just for this af alone. I personally think that it's ineffective and we could spend our advertising dollars more wisely. I have pitched the idea to the other members involved but they don't agree. Our local rep from the advertising company provides us with a list of leads and calls that said ad "generates" however I do not buy his sale pitch. I know a large portion of our customers are generated by word of mouth. I don't believe down sizing the ad or doing away with the ad all together would hurt our business at all.

What can I do to pitch this idea in a more persuasive way?
    How old are these people? 80? Of course, phone book ads don't work! Hearing this is giving me Vietnam flashbacks of having a stubborn out of touch partner. Advertise with social networks and Google. Invest in billboards. It honestly angers me that your partners are THAT out of touch. Ugh

Array

Let put it this way, we get the yellow pages free and delivered to our doorstep. From the doorstep it goes straight into the recycling bin. Heck, even my 80 year old parents don't use a phone book.

We used to print a very popular local real estate magazine. We stopped because the cost of the paper was worth more than the ads.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

I haven't opened a phone book in years. Back 10 years ago I did advertise in the phone book and at that time the return was sorta ok but not great but I would not waste a penny on it now.

I always liked those real estate magazines and miss them but yes, the market has changed.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

It's a family business, my father and sister are the other two involved. They have had a full page ad for a long time and are stubborn about changing things. My sister buys into the fake result that they provide when I know that's a scam. Personally I have never in my life even used a phone book, and I know that's how it is for pretty much everyone now.

I still want to keep our number in the phone book, but the ad is just wasting precious advertising dollars with little to no return. It's hard to change someone's mind when they are set in their ways. Also we are locked in for an entire year when we renew which I absolutely do not like.

I took iniative and had a website built for is which has helped a tremendous amount.

Im going to almost have to prove to them myself that there are no leads coming from the phone book,. I'm thinking of maybe sending out surveys and if we get a new customer ask them how they found us. I think this would give pretty solid results.

Array

You can try using a different phone number for the YP ad. It would be best if the phone number that goes into the book is different than the number that does on yp.com.

Another option would be to include a discount code on the half page ad and track how much it is used.

Surveys for advertising are notoriously inaccurate.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

The phone book ad does have a separate number that is tracked, but our website uses the same code as well. That's how the generate their reports. But the problem I have with those numbers are they could be spam calls, calls from people who found the number there originally and have to write down or repeat customers that were simply looking for our number. I doubt the ad is actually catching the eye of new customers and attracting them to our business. Therefore downsizing to a smaller ad, or simply listing our number in the book would he sufficient.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

You don't have to do a formal survey, just simply ask people "How did you find us?". Should tell the tale.

I agree with the others. The pages of the phone book are great to clean glass and mirrors with, but other than that I haven't used a phone book to find anything in years.

However, does that ad also come with a web listing? if so, is that listing ranked highly? I know for many services business in YP online have top ranking in many markets . If you're getting the benefit of that, it may be worth it. But i seriously doubt that it is.

I went to yellow pages and searched for the company that we are in an area that we do a lot of work and we our 38 on the list, so we are not highly ranked at all.

I talked to my father about it yesterday and he agrees that we advertising has changed, but is afraid of getting away from the phone book because he thinks it could hurt business. I recommended maybe down sizing to a half page ad and put a coupon on it, he thought it was a good idea. We are having a meeting with our rep to discuss the changes and to find out why we are so low in our web listings.