Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My company went belly up

I had a job for a few days. It was selling rare coins. They gave us a list of contacts and you just kept going down the list. The owner kept swearing at me for not following a script that he had put together. I couldn't put up with that and left. I left politely which given the situation surprises me.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I'm not good at following scripts either. I get that they want you to, and some of the reasons, but scripts always sound scripted. Being on the other end, the fastest way to turn me off is scripts and canned responses. I don't buy anything from someone who insults my intelligence.

Whenever I had a sales job, I could only do well if allowed to actually sell and use the script only to hit important points it should be intended for. Most scripts suck anyway—terribly—written by clueless people who gobble up sales tactics that only sound good to sales people who think the customer is idiotic enough to fall for it. They find just enough idiots to justify their belief that the tactics work. They never consider the fact that the dismal 1% success rate ought to tell them something.

They also never consider the fact they're employing the very methods that give sales people a bad name. As business owners, we're all sales people. It's an honorable profession. Every person with a job owes their job to sales people. You should easily be able to tell how I feel about those scripts and the mentality that drives them. Then again, it's probably like the joke that says 99% of all lawyers give the rest a bad name.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

I would get to the bottom of why you are getting so many chargebacks. You need to resolve this first. You may want to try something like Paypal or Intuit Payments if you haven't already.
    Brian Satterlee - Satterlee Group, Inc. - Blog - FreeLeadsExplosion.com