Thread: Co-retailing or sharing retail space - anybody tried this?

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Default Co-retailing or sharing retail space - anybody tried this?

I've discovered that although my shop is online-only, I'm getting a much bigger sales volume and better marketing ROI of my shop from in-person sales events. I've been doing pet expos and things like that. Which makes me wonder about things like pop up shops or co-retailing. I've done some Googling and emailing some local resources but I would love to hear if anybody here has tried these with a retail business.

In my research so far I've found that it will be some years before I can afford a "normal" lease for either a small warehouse or small retail space. I currently run my shop out of my house. One property manager for a large retail mall near me said that they'll do temporary retail leases for no less than a 90-day period. That doesn't work for me yet. I'm thinking I would love to do something in a small space one or two weekends a month. Sharing a retail space may be the solution but I don't know who to inquire with on such a thing.

I've also found that there are several "business incubators" around me, but they all cater to businesses that are more office/research/meeting oriented, not retail. Do you think I should reach out to them and suggest they try some sort of "retail incubator" where two or three small retailers share a space for limited time periods?

Do you have flea markets where you live? They are big down here, and the most popular one near me is packed with people on the weekends and I believe to rent a space is $150 a month. It's not your classier clientele but it is sales and marketing.

I do not believe you are a candidate for the business incubator.

My local university offers free business consultation for small businesses. Maybe you could see if a university near you offers this and they may be able to offer you some guidance.

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

I was able to find something similar to a flea market but more appropriate actually, for my shop: it's an open air market in an upscale location. The fees are very reasonable and they have both dedicated spaces or drop-in first-come-first-served spaces. I'm going to investigate that further.

I'm curious, why do you say I'm not a candidate for a business incubator? (Aside from the fact that I'm retail rather than technology)

The incubator may work like my local university, they may be able to point you in a positive direction. But I always relate them to PR, ad agency, tech type businesses. It certainly never hurts to ask.

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Right, okay. I agree with you there. They seem like that to me, also. I think they're missing a large variety of different businesses that could benefit from "incubation".