Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying web traffic

Array

LOL Yuppp.....that's def fake traffic, it has all the symptoms. But did you ever check their alexa ranking? it must be really good if they are constantly buying traffic like this....am I right?
    Ibrahim A. - Internet Marketer
    FULL Online Business & Marketing Guide: http://www.bportfolio.com
    Road to Tranquility in life & Hereafter : http://www.islambase101.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alouly View Post
    LOL Yuppp.....that's def fake traffic, it has all the symptoms. But did you ever check their alexa ranking? it must be really good if they are constantly buying traffic like this....am I right?
    Not really. I don't give Alexa ratings a whole lot of weight for most websites, but no there are not highly ranked there at all. It's not that much traffic. Just enough to make it look like whatever outdated SEO they are doing is working. A few thousand visitors a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Unfortunately they only call me when something is broken, and every time it's to be a "temporary fix" until they "get around to" letting me redo the website. They don't listen to my advice about how much of a train wreck the website is, or warnings about how bad security is. And they never have time to talk about it. This has been going on for 2 years.

So my hands are tied and it's very frustrating.

This is an extreme example of what it's been like dealing with a lot of small businesses these days. I honestly understand why they are 60% of all cyber attacks right now.

I know you're probably thinking, "Surely there's a few things you can do to protect them anyway". And yes, there is. And I've done them. And then a few months later when something breaks and they call me, I'll see that all of my tools have been removed or deleted and there's new f*ckery going on that just keeps adding more garbage to the pile.

When I ask about it, I don't get an answer.

For instance, they're convinced that this crap stats plug in is better than Google Analytics. I install GA so that they can actually see details of their traffic, and someone keeps uninstalling it.
    I install a security plug in to help deter common attacks, and I come back a few months later and it's deactivated.
    I point out glaring security holes from plug ins that haven't been updated in 5 years, and their response is "Let's put it on the back burner until we have time to think about what we're going to do".

It's obvious that someone is working against me.

Don't even get me started on the design. It's horrible. Their old poorly coded theme took a dive over a year ago and couldn't be saved, so once again they paid me to recover the site on a default theme, and once again it was to be temporary, and over a year later it's still up. It's been a round robin of constantly using temporary fixes as permanent solutions.

I've never found a way to reach these people. They're always too busy, or traveling, or just generally unavailable. I could send an email telling them their house is on fire and they'll respond 2 weeks later with "OK, we'll call the fire department. Thanks".

They treat their website like it's a burden instead of an opportunity.
    Strangest thing I've ever seen.
    I know how that can feel. I've worked with people who've hired "consultants" to deal with me and my people. The actual client never bothers to interact with me and the "consultants" are really pretenders who don't know anything about events at all. They keep poisoning the clients' minds and eventually they end up being unhappy. I've now learned to recognize these situations and found it best to walk away from them as soon as possible. It's a lose-lose for everyone.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

It's so ridiculously frustrating. They just make everything more difficult than it has to be.

This situation has reached a head now and I'm dumping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    It's so ridiculously frustrating. They just make everything more difficult than it has to be.

This situation has reached a head now and I'm dumping them.
    What are you going to say to them? Don't leave on bad terms. You may have to work with them again someday or they may refer someone to you. You never know! It's always good to maintain good relations, even with those you don't like working with.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenD View Post
    What are you going to say to them? Don't leave on bad terms. You may have to work with them again someday or they may refer someone to you. You never know! It's always good to maintain good relations, even with those you don't like working with.
    Yep. I can be quite charming and diplomatic when I need to be

Array

You're better at that than me than Harold. The two that I dropped were not very diplomatic at all (lack of payment from the first and refusal to do maintenance at the second who wanted me to warranty against premature failure). I'll still go back to both though, the first will be pure COD (and that's cash not cheque) and I will only deal with someone else (who's willing to repair equipment) at the second.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

It's really just one person, but I keep using "they" to try and keep it as anonymous as possible.

Recently the website got hacked and someone or some bot flooded it with fake customer accounts, which are now mixed in with real customer accounts. Random dates and all.

I was emphatic that I needed to speak about this. I got no answer.

2 days later they respond that they've seen my emails, and haven't responded because it's all too overwhelming to think about right now. What?

The level of pissed off that I am at hearing that I'm busting hump to provider them with quick, attentive, professional service to immediately recognize and take care of a major issue, and they're just sitting there ignoring me is off the charts.

Still, I offered to explain things so that they'd have all of the information with which to make a decision. I ask if they're available. No response. I call. No answer. This has been an ongoing issue. That they just don't respond.

It's now 5 days later and nothing has been done. I can't make that make sense.

I mean we're talking about a website, not which hospice to put Meemaw in. I'm not the tax man. There is no added expense in communicating with me. They already have time paid for on account.

All it requires is a phone call, a game plan, and we fix the problem. Done. No one gets as much as a paper cut.

The level of unnecessary drama here is completely out of place and I can't deal with it. It's a ridiculous waste of time. Not their time. My time.

Often when you tell people that you're quitting, they come around. Maybe they'll realize what they'll be missing out on once you make your intentions known about leaving. Happened to me once. I told an unreasonable demanding client that I was leaving. He was wise enough to call me over to have a chat.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I ended up figuring out a way to fix the hack without loosing any of their actual client information. Of course I had to do this without any communication or input from them, but I started to get concerned about the real people's information that they had on Woo Commerce. Names, addreses, emails, phone numbers, order histories and so on. People who trusted them to take care of that information by doing business with them.

I kind of figured even if they didn't see how irresponsible and selfish it was to pout right now, do nothing, and possibly leave others exposed, I recognized the importance of it eve if they didn't, and made a decision without them to basically protect them from themselves and from turning a simple problem into a big one.

That also maxed out the time they had on account.

I documented the work with screenshots, sent an explanation, suggestions for the future and suggested they find someone they're more comfortable communicating with.

Done.