Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying web traffic

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenD View Post
    New clients come in via referrals through old clients. I'm not denying that I need to be more pro-active. I'm just saying that I haven't been so far and it hasn't hurt me yet.
    Referrals are awesome. From experience, never take them for granted.

How do you know some wedding planner for some millionaire rancher in Dubuque Montana isn't putting together his daughters wedding and needs 1k dancers to fly in and entertain at the reception, found you online, went to your website, and didn't like what they saw and moved on?

That's the point about the web, you don't know who's looking and when.

As your business grows, or when you have expectations of growth, you'll need to be getting leads and sales from a variety of sources so that when one dries up or slows down, you're not sitting around twiddling your thumbs. These are all start up growing pains. You'll get it all figured out.

The fact that you're getting referrals that turn into business is awesome so you must be doing something right. Keep doing that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    The fact that you're getting referrals that turn into business is awesome so you must be doing something right. Keep doing that too.
    Yeah, I've been business for a long time, over a decade (I used to be a dancer myself before that). Referrals are part of the game when you've been in business that long. It's all been happening offline all this while. Now need to take it online.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been business for a long time, over a decade (I used to be a dancer myself before that). Referrals are part of the game when you've been in business that long. It's all been happening offline all this while. Now need to take it online.
    So it's been all referrals? When you say you've been in business a long time I assume that means at least a year or a few. How have you managed to keep going on all referrals? Is this just how your industry works? Is it tight knit, or 'who you know' kind of thing? Do you network a lot? Are you involved in things? Do you offer incentives?

I'm really interested in how you've built that up and keep it going as your main source of sales. I mean that's a marketing skill in itself that many people don't have much success with.

Can you offer any tips? Things you've learned over the years about keeping the referrals coming?

So it's been all referrals? When you say you've been in business a long time I assume that means at least a year or a few. How have you managed to keep going on all referrals? Is this just how your industry works? Is it tight knit, or 'who you know' kind of thing? Do you network a lot? Are you involved in things? Do you offer incentives?

I'm really interested in how you've built that up and keep it going as your main source of sales. I mean that's a marketing skill in itself that many people don't have much success with.

Can you offer any tips? Things you've learned over the years about keeping the referrals coming?
    I make it a point to maintain a personal relationship with all my business contacts. Most of them consider me to be a really good friend. I wine and dine them & send them gifts for the holidays. So I'm always at the top of their minds whenever there's new business to be given out. If they don't have anything to give me but know of someone who has a requirement, they pass on the lead to me. That's how referrals happen & keep happening. Once a new client comes on board, it's time to do the same thing to them!

Messy business buying traffic as the majority of the time it really is not targeted at all and a complete mis match to your product or service on offer, try different tatics on social media and produce regualr content it give you a much better ROI

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have a current client that has been ( I suspect) buying fake traffic for years. I'm pretty positive that they are paying for outside SEO services (which they keep me in the dark about) and they're flooding the site with fake traffic to make it seem like they're doing something.

The bulk of the fake traffic is directed at worthless pages that they keep adding to the site.
    Av time on site is exactly 1 min.
    80% of the traffic enters and leaves from the same page.
    No clear referrers.
    The bulk of search terms responsible for the traffic is never available.
    Bounce rate is 80%.
    Numbers are the same every month.
    Hardly any sales.

It's definitely not natural.

I have a current client that has been ( I suspect) buying fake traffic for years. I'm pretty positive that they are paying for outside SEO services (which they keep me in the dark about)
    What kind of services do you provide them?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

What kind of services do you provide them?
    Unfortunately they only call me when something is broken, and every time it's to be a "temporary fix" until they "get around to" letting me redo the website. They don't listen to my advice about how much of a train wreck the website is, or warnings about how bad security is. And they never have time to talk about it. This has been going on for 2 years.

So my hands are tied and it's very frustrating.

This is an extreme example of what it's been like dealing with a lot of small businesses these days. I honestly understand why they are 60% of all cyber attacks right now.

I know you're probably thinking, "Surely there's a few things you can do to protect them anyway". And yes, there is. And I've done them. And then a few months later when something breaks and they call me, I'll see that all of my tools have been removed or deleted and there's new f*ckery going on that just keeps adding more garbage to the pile.

When I ask about it, I don't get an answer.

For instance, they're convinced that this crap stats plug in is better than Google Analytics. I install GA so that they can actually see details of their traffic, and someone keeps uninstalling it.
    I install a security plug in to help deter common attacks, and I come back a few months later and it's deactivated.
    I point out glaring security holes from plug ins that haven't been updated in 5 years, and their response is "Let's put it on the back burner until we have time to think about what we're going to do".

It's obvious that someone is working against me.

Don't even get me started on the design. It's horrible. Their old poorly coded theme took a dive over a year ago and couldn't be saved, so once again they paid me to recover the site on a default theme, and once again it was to be temporary, and over a year later it's still up. It's been a round robin of constantly using temporary fixes as permanent solutions.

I've never found a way to reach these people. They're always too busy, or traveling, or just generally unavailable. I could send an email telling them their house is on fire and they'll respond 2 weeks later with "OK, we'll call the fire department. Thanks".

They treat their website like it's a burden instead of an opportunity.
    Strangest thing I've ever seen.

Array

Look at it this way Harold, you're at least getting paid to do what the customer wants. I get that it's frustrating and hopefully when there is a management change you get first shot at rebuilding the site.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Look at it this way Harold, you're at least getting paid to do what the customer wants. I get that it's frustrating and hopefully when there is a management change you get first shot at rebuilding the site.
    It's really past the point where I want to rebuild the website. It's been going on so long, that the thought of having to deal with them on it, knowing how long they're going to drag it out, and that they won't listen to any of my recommendations because they REFUSE to let go of these outdated concepts that they have from the early 2000's...none of that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'm actually closer to the other side of the coin, telling them to find someone else to work with. It's really that ridiculous and I'm past the days of dealing with ridiculous clients. They're not worth the money anymore.