Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying web traffic

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    But does fake traffic/reviews save costs in the long term and does it truly develop consumer popularity? The consumer isn't stupid (though they might be cheap) and will see through most charades.
    I'd say this is a double edged sword. Beneficial to those who know how to do it and get away with it & harmful to those who don't know what they're doing. Look at how effectively politicians around the world have used fake news to their advantage. Fake reviews can unfortunately be written in a real enough manner so as to create a halo effect and influence the opinion of other people.

A friend of mine has a restaurant & asked me to write a review for it, although I'd never been to the place. I was averse to it at first, but took it up as a challenge since the website in question claimed that the filtering process was foolproof & no fake reviews could get through. Guess what! The review passed the scrutiny & influenced a few others to go to the place as well! My point is, if a total newbie like me could do that, others who are professionals at it can surely do & do better!

Array

This, then, brings up the ethics question. Just because you can use/leave false information, should you?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

This, then, brings up the ethics question. Just because you can use/leave false information, should you?
    Of course people do, all the time. This is where the good part of "community" on the internet comes into play. Non trolls are more than happy to answer questions or share experiences. I do it all the time on Amazon. You may be able to leave a fake review, but you can't fake having used a product. If so, it's easy to tell when someone has no idea what they're talking about.

I make it a habit to leave good reviews when a product warrants it. I'll leave bad ones too, I just makes sure it's the product and not me. Plenty of times you'll see bad reviews from people who just didn't know how to use the product, or expected it to be something else.

But of course it's the internet and people do use it for revenge.

Array

Do you know what I found so difficult to figure out...or maybe I am just a bit paranoid when it comes to web traffic and other traffic generation methods. It's that people who write negative reviews about a service may be working from the competitors and they are trying to push towards their services...and therefore, maybe the current service is actually good but people are using tactics to make you go to alternatives. Honestly, I learned that the only way to find out if something is good or not is to try it....that's the ONLY 100% answer for anyone. Many times I trusted the reviews and it turned out to be junk
    Ibrahim A. - Internet Marketer
    FULL Online Business & Marketing Guide: http://www.bportfolio.com
    Road to Tranquility in life & Hereafter : http://www.islambase101.com

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Alouly View Post
    It's that people who write negative reviews about a service may be working from the competitors and they are trying to push towards their services...and therefore, maybe the current service is actually good but people are using tactics to make you go to alternatives.
    I repeat my ethics question from above. Just because one can, does it mean that they should post false reviews, either good or bad?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

That was the only time I did it, but like Harold says above, people do so all the time. Not just people, but reputation management companies do it for their clients. That's usually a few individuals doing multiple reviews on behalf of the company's clients. As long as this is being done on a commercial basis, it'll be difficult to put a stop to it. Perhaps the only way to bring it under control is to have some kind of law against it.
    Last edited by WarrenD; 04-19-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Array

You can fake positive reviews, but you can't fool customers which those reviews get to your door. If your service doesn't live up to those reviews you are going down. As for fake bad reviews, i won't even mention those. The people that are leaving fake bad reviews just in order to harm competition are scum.

P.S. Never use that paid "traffic", it can harm your website's rankings.
    Last edited by TomislavGlogovac; 04-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Array

I don't think I would ever fake reviews for my site. I can't say I would never fake anything since when I first started my forum I was guilty of making up some false members who asked questions that I then logged in as myself and answered just to get the forum off the ground. I can still remember how happy I was when I got the first real post from someone. That was probably 15 years and tens of thousands of posts ago.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The bigger problem with fake reviews is that it doesn't give you a chance to improve and actually become awesome. For some people they don't care it's all about the quick scam and conning as many people out of their money as possible.

For people who really intend to run a legitimate business, some are so scared to get one bad thing said about them that they shoot themselves in the foot over and over again. You have to get honest feedback about things. It's the only way to improve. Faking greatness only fools yourself.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    I don't think I would ever fake reviews for my site. I can't say I would never fake anything since when I first started my forum I was guilty of making up some false members who asked questions that I then logged in as myself and answered just to get the forum off the ground. I can still remember how happy I was when I got the first real post from someone. That was probably 15 years and tens of thousands of posts ago.
    That's a common way to get things going on a forum.