Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a 3-2-1 backup plan?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Do you use a 3-2-1 backup plan?

I know I talk a lot about security, but with this being a small business forum and the rash of attacks on small businesses these days I feel it's something we all need to talk about.

Ransomware is an epidemic that is killing businesses. Basically it's a spear phishing attack, meaning you or your employees mistakenly let it in by clicking spoofed emails, (or bring it in via another device on the network like your infected phone) and it takes over your computer or network, locking you out of it and your files until you pay the ransom to get the unlock key.

Sounds like it's too obvious not to get clipped by it, but it works and it's about 60% of all hacks these days, and small businesses are the the most frequent target because they are the easiest targets.

A 3-2-1 backup plan is not expensive at all, is simple to execute and can save you from disaster.

1. Keep at least three copies of your data
    That includes the original copy and at least two backups.

2. Keep the backed-up data on two different storage types
    The chances of having two failures of the same storage type are much better than for two completely different types of storage. Therefore, if you have data stored on an internal hard drive, make sure you have a secondary storage type, such as external or removable storage, or the cloud.

3. Keep at least one copy of the data offsite
    Even if you have two copies on two separate storage types but both are stored onsite, a local disaster could wipe out both of them. Keep a third copy in an offsite location, like the cloud.

Feasibly if disaster strikes you could literally snatch the drives out of all of your computers, apply your back ups and never skip a beat. No back ups, or outdated backups, or worse only 1 backup and it gets corrupted too, and you are SOL. No way to turn back time.

Imagine the phone ringing and not being able to access your files and programs. Send email. Send invoices.

My own back up system is a secondary drive, 2 External drives. 2 NAS ( network attacked storage) devices in different locations, and a cloud account.

Do you all back up? If so how many?

Array

You forgot a fourth - Paper. Sure, now that we're in the digital age it's viewed as archaic, but it can't be hacked and, when done properly, can supply all the needed information.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    You forgot a fourth - Paper. Sure, now that we're in the digital age it's viewed as archaic, but it can't be hacked and, when done properly, can supply all the needed information.
    Definitely. If you deal in paper, copies of paper is good. Offsite. I'm sure legal, banking, and real estate keep paper secured somewhere. As well as the medical profession. If need be they could do business on paper, although hopefully those industries have better security than most...actually scratch that. We see that they don't.

Array

A proper back up plan is vital to avoid downtime and other issues that may result if the IT infrastructure is not functioning flawlessly. Therefore, cloud services for small business are a must. A cloud provider can offer transformative technology solutions and advice from seasoned small business cloud computing IT experts, so all the security related issues and cloud shortcomings can be met properly. It is a better solution than windows hosting as it provides maximum uptime and no server failure. Moreover, you pay for the resources as per your needs and at various levels of network data safety is ensured. So, it is a perfect backup plan for your business.

Array

I like the 3-2-1 idea. It's easy to remember. For local files I usually have a local copy on my desktop or laptop plus a backup on a network attached storage. I also have a cloud backup of the critical files. Most of my systems however are cloud based but follow a similar backup strategy.

One aspect that I found some people struggling with is knowing WHAT to backup. So I wrote a blog article about it a little while ago:

Backups a critical thing...
    Problem Solver @ ITgeniq
    Want to follow along as I document ways for small businesses to save $ on their IT? Check it out here!

I have Google Drive on all my devices and I save all the important documents on it when I'm working from my mac. So I have all these documents saved on all my devices. Apart from this I take periodic backups to my time capsule. That's a tested method - once I had to change my mac & all the data could be restored from backup from time capsule. It was a smooth transition.

Array

I think Google drive works best. You have also premium plan for it. Its more user friendly. One can consider it as well.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steventaylor View Post
    I think Google drive works best. You have also premium plan for it. Its more user friendly. One can consider it as well.
    Wasn't this just announced? Starts on June 28, right?

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Wasn't this just announced? Starts on June 28, right?
    I didn't get you actually?

Quote Originally Posted by steventaylor View Post
    I agree. Super simple and gets the job done too. I love the Google drive, but the amount of lack of data protection or privacy is ridiculous. But oh well..i guess this is the price we pay for it.