Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Work During College?

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Default Should I Work During College?

I figured I'd ask here since this place has the most college graduates at once. I'm going to Bryant University this fall, and I'm wondering if you think I should keep my job at Staples and work part time? Some people have said it's a bad idea, but others recommended it. What's your experience with working and going to college full time?

Array

Back in the day, I had a job in college as part of my financial aid package. I worked for the audio-visual services department of the university for all four years of my undergraduate degree, variable and flexible hours, but basically as many as I wanted up to the limit imposed by the work-study program rules (so, up to 20 hours per week). Thinking back on it, it was a great job that really was a big part of my education, exposing me to lots of different aspects of the university -- I got to be the slide projectionist for art history classes, do audio recordings of seminars with visiting famous people (I remember one with John Lithgow in particular), run the sound system at events all across campus, do copy-stand photography for some of the latest research efforts, etc., etc... I actually spent the summer after my sophomore year working for the department full time, helping them do an inventory of virtually every single room on campus (and this was a big university!) -- what sorts of A/V facilities existed in that room, where the electrical outlets were located, and so on -- we produced something we called "The Room Book."

The money was important, I needed the money.

I think the thing that made it work, for me, was the flexibility that I had. I largely got to pick and choose which events I wanted to work, so had control over my schedule and the amount of time I was putting in.

In my case, my A/V job really had nothing to do with my major. Also, FWIW, I was a varsity athlete as well. Time-management was critical. I tended to go to bed, and get up, a lot earlier than many of my fellow students....

I spent the summer after my junior year doing research (with a small stipend funded by a grant through my advisor, IIRC) ultimately leading to a senior thesis in my major area and graduating with honors.
    Last edited by tallen; 03-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Array

Simple answer - yes.

University needs to be paid for by someone. Whether it's you, your parents, a school scholarship, or a government (government can also be called the tax payer) scholarship, someone is footing the bill.

For those who say it's a bad idea, did they give you a reason why?
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Working while in college has many short term and long term benefits. In the short term, you will have money to help pay for college, and for living and social expenses. For the long term you will learn time managements skills, work experience, and have less debt.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Array

I agree. Working while in college is a good idea, at least to provide you a little spending money.
    Brian Satterlee - Satterlee Group, Inc. - Blog - FreeLeadsExplosion.com

You must be focused on graduating. You must make sacrifices to graduate. You can work and graduate.

The only downside might be if you had a job that paid very well. Then the lure of money can influence your focus on graduation.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Most people work in college because they need the money to eat, pay bills and help pay for supplies and even tuition. If you need money for those things, then yes you should work.

I'll have to agree with Bobjob. If you don't need the money for now, then NO don't work. Get involved in school activities and events, do volunteering and keep your grades up. You will have plenty of time to work and earn money after you graduate. If you have a part-time job, it may affect your studies. You may get sidetracked. Everyone wants to pay their own way, but if you don't NEED to get a part-time job then don't do it.

Work experience is just as valuable as the education you will be receiving. I took a part-time job as an assistant for an advertising firm as a freshman in college, working only 15 hours a week to start. Eventually as I got into a routine with my studies and class schedule, as well as more familiarity with my role at my part-time job, I increased my hours. By the time I was in my final year of college, I was working nearly full-time. So when I graduated, I walked away with a degree in marketing and 4 years experience in a related field. I ended up being offered a full-time salaried job with the firm I had been working part-time with through college and worked there over 10 years. It has led to a very lucrative and successful career that I felt I would not have had, had I chose not to work while in college. So short story, long. Yes. Find a balance in your time management of work, school and social life and you'll set yourself up nicely. Good luck in school! - Jon
    Allrise Financial Group, Inc
    "With Allrise, we all rise together!"
    www.allrise.us

Hello, it has been my experience that working and going to school at the same time can prove to be quite the juggling act. In my minds eye's the job market is looking for both well educated and experienced individuals, so it would come down to making sure the filed that your in will not shun you for just finishing school and worrying about the experience later. But way waist time, fight to get an internship in your filed and make the most out of you time. Easier said then done, probably, but possible. Anything worth having doesn't come easy.