Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I Work During College?

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

I think you should keep in mind that most people here are entrepeneurs, so they may not have recent knowledge of the general job market. If you're planning to get a job with a company (as opposed to starting your own company) after graduation, odds are you'll need to have some work experience already. Even though I'm over 50, it's a peeve of mine that entry level professional jobs are now requiring 3 - 5 years of experience. In my opinion, that's NOT entry level. (But nobody listens to me.) I feel bad for young people these days!

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Oh, just noticed you're asking for experience of what it's like to work and do school at the same time. I did that and my experience was that it damaged my grades and made it take longer to graduate. In elementary and high school I was a solid B average student, but in college I had trouble keeping up with homework so my average dropped to a mediocre C. I also couldn't take a "full time" class load so it took me 7 years to get a 4 year degree. However, I've heard that's more common now than it was when I was in college.

On the other hand, I worked so much (nearly full time) that I managed to not have to take any college loans. Graduating debt-free was wonderful.

Even if it takes 5 years instead of 4 to graduate, I think you should work. Ideally the job will be beneficial to your career or education. Doing construction work for example, can be beneficial because you can learn how to fix stuff or look for problems with a house you are interested in buying. It also could be a fallback position if you fall on hard times during you working careers. Stuff happens and you need an income...

I did security for Sears. Back in those days there were no cameras. Over the 3 years I did that I caught over 300 shop lifters, not to mention internal theft. I learned a lot about human behavior which helped me a lot about human nature and reading people which helped me in my sales career. People that stole could be anything from drug addicts to local political figures or bored housewives.

If you get something that helps you in your life or career I'd go for it.
    Last edited by billbenson; 08-21-2017 at 10:50 PM.

I think that part-time is not only about having your own pocket money, but also about gaining the work experience and enrich your resume. You can also try to work as an assistant for a professor

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Don't know if I mentioned this but when I was in college I was in the Army Reserves ( 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer) and then later I started working in bars and restaurants waiting tables and tending bar. Unfortunately ( or fortunately) the money was so good for so long that it ended up being my career for 20 years.

I never actually went into the field for which I studied.

Hey, if you need money or experience than you should work. I worked and it was good for self-development and stuff

Working during college a great idea, because you can earn money, gain experience and be independent from parent

Amature Expert
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I figured I'd ask here since this place has the most college graduates at once. I'm going to Bryant University this fall, and I'm wondering if you think I should keep my job at Staples and work part time? Some people have said it's a bad idea, but others recommended it. What's your experience with working and going to college full time?
    Buy a 4 unit apartment and make money as you study. Mow the lawn...etc....and grow toward Financial Independence.
    - Visualize one perfect grateful customer - Educate them on how to purchase intelligently - Deliver an amazing, unforgettable purchase experience. - Support the customer for their life

I think working during school is a great idea, so long as you keep your work hours limited to what you can handle.

I agree that having a job has many benefits as you build skills and social connections. You also earn some spending money which provides some independence and freedom. If you have many assignments it's probably best to keep your work schedule limited to 20 hours or less.

If you are in school and don't work you will be dependent on others when you need things. If you work you have more control of the resources you can access.

I am in school part time and work part time. In my situation the classes are all online so I can learn almost anytime anywhere.

Overall I support the idea of having a job in college and believe it's the best route to take.