Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Linux users on the forum?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Any Linux users on the forum?

I recently re-purposed my old desktop and installed Linux on it. Been curious for years. Now that I want to know more about network security, Kali Linux is one of the main tools, so no time like the present.

I know there are probably an unlimited number of Linux distros and forks. Just wondering if anyone else runs Linux either on their every day computer, or as a hobby. And if you've always run it, or started with another OS.

Array

I have a CentOS VM I spin up periodically for development, but I rarely do network security on the server, preferring to control it at the upstream firewall.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'm going to be setting up a VM (Virtual Machine) today. Can't wait.

Linux is pretty much all I've run on my desktops, laptops, and servers for nearly 20 years.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    Linux is pretty much all I've run on my desktops, laptops, and servers for nearly 20 years.
    Which version do you run on your desktops and laptops?

If you don't mind I have a few questions that you can probably help with:

Do I need to be worried about any kind of anti virus? If so, which do you recommend?

I'm also looking for a software solution that lets me use one keyboard and mouse across a Linux and Windows 10 machine. Tried Synergy, ShareMouse and one other. None worked for me. Any suggestions?

I run the Debian Testing branch, and occasionally I have to rollback an update because something breaks (that comes with "testing").

ClamAV has long been the standard free AV to use, and it's in most distributions' repositories.

I use Synergy across Linux and Windows (my laptop has a Windows partition for World of Warcraft - my only real exposure to Windows). One thing about Debian-based distributions is that many of the guides and documentation for one flavor will work on the other flavors with a few (if any) minor tweaks. Kali is a Debian-based distribution. I had a little trouble with Synergy soon after Debian switched to systemd from init scripts for services. If I remember right the Archlinux wiki was very helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

What I ended up doing was setting up the configuration for the server with the synergys gui, saving the configuration to ~/.config/synergy.conf, and adding a user-level systemd script at ~/.config/systemd/user/synergys.service with the following contents:

Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=Synergy server service
    After=display-manager.service

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/bin/synergys -f --no-tray --debug INFO --name caol-ila -c /home/veggiemeat/.config/synergy.conf --address :24800
    Restart=on-failure

[Install]
    WantedBy=graphical.target
    I'm sure a similar process would exist for the client if you are configuring the Linux computer as a client.

You can then add "systemctl --user start synergys" to your environment's autostart script.
    Last edited by Brian Altenhofel; 02-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'm going to try all of that. By the way, I switched over to Fedora. Apparently I jumped the gun on the course I'm taking and needed Kali to run in VM. So that's what I'm setting up now. Will try Synergy again.

Thanks

Fedora will be RHEL-based, so I can't help quite as much with that. But there are plenty of RHEL/CentOS resources available if you're having trouble finding Fedora-specific help.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

So apparently I crashed the drive. I guess installing 2 OS's on it back to back was more than it was willing to take. It's my old machine which was going out anyway. Thought I'd play around for as long as it lasted.
    Just going to order a refurb laptop to experiment on.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    Fedora will be RHEL-based, so I can't help quite as much with that. But there are plenty of RHEL/CentOS resources available if you're having trouble finding Fedora-specific help.
    Brian, do you know anything about Parrot Security? Looks really robust: https://www.parrotsec.org/