Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boring Subjects

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Boring Subjects

If you blog or write copy for your business, what's the most boring thing you've ever written about?

For me it was a site I wrote for a company of ours. It was all about inkjet ink and direct to garment printing. I didn't find the subject all that interest, and my primary technical contact was a chemist.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm usually bored writing sales pages of any kind. I can do it well enough, but I don't like doing it.

A couple of years ago I rewrote copy for a site that was all about industrial packaging machinery. Very dry stuff and I had little to go on as to what the terminology really meant. There weren't that many other sites on the same topic to learn from and those other sites were just as try.

At the same time I was writing copy for a site that deals in dry solids processing. Another heavily industrialized topic for which I knew nothing about and didn't exactly want to know more about.

Nothing particularly wrong with either topic, but certainly neither was of interest to me.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

LOL, I've handled a few topics that were boring by nature, and the research was worse. The challenge I find, and even enjoy, is taking something boring like that and making it more interesting. I've learned to ask for minimal input from clients so I have more latitude in making something from nothing, because too much input doesn't always help anyway.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

I can't think of any. Maybe it's because I make everything so darn interesting

Seriously, while some topics are definitely harder than others to write about, in many years doing this and hundreds of subjects, I have yet to be bored writing about something.
    Last edited by Dan Furman; 08-16-2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think that shows you chose the right career Dan. Most of my writing is for myself so I can make it as interesting or as dull for me as I want. But those industrial things were not my choice and were not fun for me.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Yea, I can see how someone could HATE writing certain things. I guess it does mean I'm doing the right thing.

I used to do some graphic design work, but that I hated (and yes, was boring.) Yet a good designer I knew said the same thing about design that I just did about writing.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I would say the same thing about design too. I enjoy doing it regardless of the site or the topic of the site. I do enjoy writing as well and most of the time I won't find it boring. Then again there are a few topics that get to me.

Array

I don't actually do any writing except for myself so i do attempt to only pick topics which i know i am going to be able to easily write about and not get to bored when i have to go and do some research for them.

In saying this i find it very difficult to write good copy for my own business, i am not sure if this is because i am always being to critical and trying to look at what i am writing from the perspective of my potential customer's or what, but i find that no matter what i write for my business i am always scrutinizing it a lot more then anything else that i write.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sales copy is harder for me to write for myself than it is to write for someone else. It's probably because I'm more attached to my business and it's harder to look at objectively. It's much easier to be objective for a client's site.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think most people have trouble writing about their own business. I've seen some of the stuff the company for which I work had before I got there. It's horrible. There's either way too much information or it's so over the top with sales buzz words it would turn anyone off.

Passion about your company and product is a great thing, but you also have to have the tools to be able to express that passion to your customers in the right way.