Thread: Import tariffs & Sales tax

Default Import tariffs & Sales tax

Hello,

My company is located in Hong Kong and trading with high end jewellery.
    Currently considering to sell the products in the US.
    The goods would be imported and then sold online via the plattforms for these type of goods.

Following questions:
    Are the import tariffs in every state the same or do they differ?
    Are there certain states (e.g. Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon) better for online sales/mail order business, due to lower taxation and no sales tax?
    Is the sales tax of the state of the seller or the buyer relevant, if it is an online purchase and shipped by special courier to the buyer?

In order to have most competitive sales prices in the market:
    Does it make sense to import goods via a company in one state to benefit from lower import tariffs, which sells the goods to the company, located in another state with lower sales tax?

What is the common company form choosen for import/online sales in the USA?

If you can recommend any consultant for these types of questions, welcome to get the contact details!

Looking forward to your reply.

Array

Import tariffs are done by the federal government and they are the same for every state.

Currently sales tax needs to be collected only in states where you operate or have a presence. If you set up headquarters in New Hampshire or one of the other states where there is no sales tax then if you ship from New Hampshire you would not need to collect tax anywhere.

I think most any business consultant could help you.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

"Business consultant" is a broad term. You need to consult with a lawyer or tax consultant who specializes in this and get the correct information as it pertains to your specific situation.
    You can also simply ask the IRS, and various trade departments in the U.S. They'll be more than happy to answer questions for free to point you in the right direction.

Get your information and legal requirements from the source (the people who make and enforce the rules) so that you are sure you are following the right advice.

Thank you for the replies.
    Will follow your advice about the IRS and trade departments.
    However, if you have a recommendation of an independent consultant/advisor, it is appreciated.
    Given the fact that the US is a new market to my company, i would like to be sure about the interpretation of laws and possible options.