Thread: Chinese registration of my domain name - is this bad?

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Default Chinese registration of my domain name - is this bad?

Hi All,
    I'm pretty conversant with the internet, it's really the risks of global use of the internet that I'm iffy on. I received an email claiming to be from a Chinese domain registration company telling me that they've received a request by someone in their country to register domains very similar to mine. My registered domain is Somethingspecialpetsupplies.com. They're saying that someone wants to register Somethingspecialpetsupplies.hk and .cn, etc. different Chinese suffixes.

If I allow this, what are the risks?

Also, I'm not sure if this is a legitimate email. Has anyone else ever received something like this? If it's legitimate, I really appreciate them warning me and allowing me to have a say in whether they grant the names or not. Or is it likely they're just going to tell me to spend money to register those domains myself (i.e. cash grab or ransom situation)? I was always under the impression that in certain other countries domain names are just taken/used, whether you like it or not or even know about it. Thoughts?

Array

I have received messages like this in the past. I personally have chosen to ignore them. I believe that they are trying to "scare" you into registering those domains even though it is probably not useful for you to do so. In my case, the market for the services my companies offer is centric to North America, because the services are "place-based" (anyone anywhere in the world who is interested in our services is gong to look at our North American websites, because they will have to come to our location here to take advantage of the services we offer).

Array

I get the same thing all the time and also ignore then. We do market worldwide but I am totally sure those emails are either a scam or a ripoff.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Nope, I don't think they are legit. I think they come from domain registrars trying to trick people into doing business with them. I get them from time to time as well. I used to get that specific one all of the time.

Besides the fact that I'm 99.9% sure they are scam/spam, who cares if a Chinese company uses the same root domain in .hk. or .cn? No one who is looking for your services would confuse your English website with a Chinese website and likely wouldn't even trip over it. Think about it, how many .cn,or .hk websites do you see when you're using Google search?

Mostly because you're searching in English and will get English language results back.

If it turns out someone does register it and they're infringing on a worldwide trademark, then worry about it. I doubt that's the case.

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Perfect, thanks guys!