Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Any Advertising Good Advertising

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Is Any Advertising Good Advertising

I have talked with some people who say that anything that gets their name out in front of the public is good advertising. In their mind, a flyer under the wiper on a car is as good as a glossy advertisement in a magazine. In fact, the flyer might be better because it is cheaper.

I think the method of advertising and the perception of that method also have to be taken into account when considering how and where to advertise.

Do you guys agree or disagree with me?

Array

I agree with you - not all advertising is created equal.

Can you imagine Mercedes Benz advertising with cheap windshield flyers?

You have to match your advertising to your target market and the marketplace perception that you want to attract.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

That's so true and I think it's where a lot of companies fail, particularly small ones. If you want to be perceived as someone that people want to do business with, you have to look as though you can handle the business. You're exactly right, Mercedes would not be Mercedes if they had some crazy guy on late night cable television shouting about how his car deals are insane.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't think any advertising is good advertising either, but I understand the thought. There is a point where you might consider it better to be known for anything than to be unknown. Maybe you become known for something you'd rather not be associated with, but once you become a known entity you're at least part of the conversation. You can change how people view you.

With the Mercedes example I completely agree. The fliers would damage their brand. However would you say the same about Napluna? You don't know who they are (because I made them up). The fliers could conceivably get you to know they're name even if the association is with a cheap car. Once enough people know who they are they might then work to change the association to high end automobiles.

Personally I prefer to getting known for good than bad even if it takes longer to get known. I also prefer targeting my marketing to waste less. I'm not endorsing the above get known first and then get known for what you want later strategy, but I know there are some who would.

In general I'm with you that not all advertising is good advertising.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think that some people do endorse the theory that you put out Vangogh and just try to get known first and then worry about for what they're known second. The problem is if you're known for being low end it costs that much more and takes much more time if you want to be known later as a high end product.

I always think it is better to start as you mean to go on. Pick an image and stick with it.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not arguing that point. I thought I'd throw out the other side for the sake of discussion. I'd much prefer to be known for things that match what my brand is about. Some people just want the attention first. I won't say you can't try that approach though. I think getting known for what you want to be known for is the better course of action, but to each his own.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

I would imagine that there is very much two camps on this. It is one of the biggest reasons i have done minimal marketing, because i really do not want to do advertising that looks cheap. I want to do quality advertising that people connect to my business being a quality provider of products and services.

However there are many many businesses that do go to the extent of working on the basis that any marketing, or publicity is better then none. Which really may be a true statement, however not all marketing or publicity for that matter consistently adds value to your brand. This is the same for some companies that just want their name in the paper, weather it is for something that is good or bad as long as their name is in the paper they are happy because they are being talked about.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think that's what it comes down to in the end, Joel, adding value to the brand. It all depends on how you want your product and your company to be perceived.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's how it is for me. I want to continue to add value to my brand and then as I can extend the reach of my brand. To me that's what makes the most sense, though it is a longer term strategy if your goal is to be known among the masses.

When I think of the other side, the get known for anything first strategy, I think about Hollywood celebrities. Many will do anything just to get their name in the media and while it's often for things you might not want to get known for it still gets them back in the public eye. The public also has a funny way of forgetting and forgiving too.

Array

I agree with most of what's being said here... but I don't think it necessarily has to do with the cost/price of the advertising medium.

For instance... i have long argued and will continue to argue that the most economical piece of marketing material is your business card. Looking through my invoices (for accuracy) i discovered that my first set of business cards cost me $.10 per card. or $100 for 1000. This would fall somewhere in the price range of the flyers on the windshield price range, but wouldn't feel nearly as "Cheap"

Certainly there is truth to Marshall McLuhan's addage "The medium is the message" but just because you're "On TV" doesn't mean your ad is better than the guy that's on radio or the local paper or yes even distributing flyers.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org