Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drones

Array

Default Drones

I am starting to think about buying a drone with the goal of getting some pretty cool videos of my products in action. Possibly some cool photos as well but the videos are my top priority. I see a cheap one on Amazon that looks pretty cool but I don't want to cut corners. I am thinking about either a DJI Phantom 3 or a DJI Phantom 4 at the moment but am quite flexible and don't even know enough about drones to ask intelligent questions. So I am wondering if anyone has a drone and has any suggestions or recommendations either about models or features I should look for.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I watch Know How on the Twit network and they talk about drones a lot. I've also watched a few drone races on ESPN from time to time and have gotten to know some of the brands, although I'm no expert and don't own one myself. .

DJI is a good brand.
    Go Pro's new Karma has also gotten good reviews :https://shop.gopro.com/karma
    Parrot is also well respected: https://www.parrot.com/us/Drones#decouvrez-notre-gamme-

I think it all comes down to what kind of environment you'll be flying in,and the capabilities/ resolution of the camera, or do you want just the drone and will out fit it with your own camera. Go Pro, Sony and many others make stand alone cameras for mounting.

Here's a PC World article that puts some of the best brands side by side.
    The Best Drones of 2016 | PCMag.com

Array

Thanks for the feedback Harold. I am looking for one with a camera. I don't have a Gopro or other camera that would work. I have seen a bit on the Parrot and did watch the video promotion on the GoPro but GoPro is a little new and have already had a call back so I am inclined to rule them out just because they are new. I will be doing some research for a bit but will look at Parrot and DJI

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Go Pro is not new. They were the first in the action camera space. This is their first drone that they themselves are producing, but they aren't new to the game.

Array

I am assuming that you want to use these videos and photos for advertising, if that is the case, hire someone to do it. Getting good photos of a product in action is not as easy as just buying a drone. Get a pro with several hundred hours of experience and good equipment. It will make a video that people will want to watch and make your products look good.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

That's some good advice. Buying the equipment doesn't mean you'll be any good at using it. If learning is part of it, and you're in no hurry, then it makes sense. Plus drones are cool. I want one too.

I think back to when I was convinced I could do my own voice overs. Purchased all the equipment, (probably spent about $500) and realized in one day that I suck at voice overs and knew nothing about quality recording. Sure, I could record something, but it was nowhere near the quality and professionalism I was hoping for.

I ended up hiring a pro for $50 and he did it in one take.

Array

Have thought about getting a drone, too, but my partner is concerned about the learning curve and thinks it would just be a time sink. Yes, could hire a pro, but what we would want to shoot is so dependent on weather and tides it would be really difficult to schedule.... There is still a lot of work to do with coming up with story boards, shot lists (angles and altitudes), etc..., maybe it would be worth getting an inexpensive drone to do rough versions to show the pro exactly what you want?

Array

A client of mine started a business taking aerial images for realtors and business owners with a single DJI Phantom 3 drone that I believe he bought at Target for like $500..? As far as I know, he didn't have much experience in piloting drones or anything RC related. In fact, I don't think he really knew too much about photography either... But he is doing quite well with it.
    Small Business Consultant,
    Olive Branch Business Solutions
    Business Development | Marketing Strategy | Web Development

Array

The way I want to use it makes it really not practical to hire someone to take the shots so if I am going to do it I will have to do it myself. If there is that much of a learning curve then I will just have to devote the time to learning. That isn't my favorite thing to do but I have always done what I had to.

I agree about the voice overs Harold. I think there is nothing I dislike doing more than the voice overs for my videos. That is definitely not my strong point. I did hire someone to do one and it was money well spent and will most likely hire someone for the new ones. I find it funny when I get a call or go to a show and someone recognizes my voice from the videos and that happens a lot. I am sure it is the poor quality that has them remembering the voice.

Array

Another plus with having my own is I have felt that the secret of getting good photos and videos is to take a lot of shots or a lot of footage and if you have enough some will be perfect for what you want.