Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Apps

Default Dream Apps

I've always wanted an app I can input things I need (light bulbs, string, bananas, a 3/8 inch 9/16ths deep socket). Then when I walk into a store, my phone rings and automatically brings up the list. I always figured the way it would ring would be somehow tied in with the shoplifter things you walk by when you enter or exit the store.

Since I am a small business, it is important for me to know when a freight truck will stop by. I wish there were an app that would alert me that my business was going to receive a truck. Or website I could visit where I could input my company name, and it would tell if I was going to have a freight truck come by. To know the day they are going to come would be great and to have a window of arrival would be even greater.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

These things exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobjob View Post
    I've always wanted an app I can input things I need (light bulbs, string, bananas, a 3/8 inch 9/16ths deep socket). Then when I walk into a store, my phone rings and automatically brings up the list. I always figured the way it would ring would be somehow tied in with the shoplifter things you walk by when you enter or exit the store.
    Both Google Assistant and Amazon Echo can be set up to add things to your shopping list with your voice. Apps like One Note and Evernote also have this function as well as stand alone apps from grocery stores and stores like Home Depot.

It won't ring your phone when you walk in (you could probably set up alerts), but if you have Google now set up it will let you know what the specials are, sales and so on of the business or store that you are in...if of course they are using it too.

Since I am a small business, it is important for me to know when a freight truck will stop by. I wish there were an app that would alert me that my business was going to receive a truck. Or website I could visit where I could input my company name, and it would tell if I was going to have a freight truck come by. To know the day they are going to come would be great and to have a window of arrival would be even greater.
    Again, if getting deliveries from the major shippers, UPS, FedEx and so on, you can set alerts and updates on the status of your delivery. If you have these tied into Google now, or something like an Echo it will let you know when it's either being delivered of was just delivered.

If it's coming from a distributor, then they would have to have something set up internally for you to be able to get alerts like that.

Most everything you said is possible with Google Now, Google Assistant, Amazon Echo, or any number of virtual assistant apps like Evernote. I assume Apple and Siri has the same or similar.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think many good productivity apps can give you the list of things you need. I have one that's an Apple only product I think that will alert you to items you want to buy in a store and I think nearby stores as well. I don't use that function myself so I don't know if you get an alert or you have to check the app, but it can tell you all the things you want to buy.

The truck info is something you'd have to go through the specific service, but I'm pretty sure they all track shipments for you. They may not provide delivery to the minute or even hour, but this afternoon or tomorrow morning is something they can provide.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    These things exist.

Both Google Assistant and Amazon Echo can be set up to add things to your shopping list with your voice. Apps like One Note and Evernote also have this function as well as stand alone apps from grocery stores and stores like Home Depot.

It won't ring your phone when you walk in (you could probably set up alerts), but if you have Google now set up it will let you know what the specials are, sales and so on of the business or store that you are in...if of course they are using it too.

Again, if getting deliveries from the major shippers, UPS, FedEx and so on, you can set alerts and updates on the status of your delivery. If you have these tied into Google now, or something like an Echo it will let you know when it's either being delivered of was just delivered.

If it's coming from a distributor, then they would have to have something set up internally for you to be able to get alerts like that.

Most everything you said is possible with Google Now, Google Assistant, Amazon Echo, or any number of virtual assistant apps like Evernote. I assume Apple and Siri has the same or similar.
    I just wanted to add that a store could probably set that up with Echo and in-store beacons or GPS. It would require a store app, though, for the GPS or beacon triggers, unless there's already a beacon platform that will send a user ID ping in real-time (not currently aware of one).
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The way supermarkets do it is pretty amazing. I noticed the few times that I've looked lately that it showed me not only specials, but it seemed to be specific to the isle I was in, and let me add the coupon in the moment. That's good stuff. Of course you have to turn it on and let Google actually be an assistant.

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to experience these options in action. Theory was Apple app Reminder would work for reminding me to purchase items I need, but it never did.

For the freight. I picture the app working off my company name more than a tracking number. I can't have every freight lines app. I picture a place (website) where the scanned information from the freight lines went, and then sent me an alert or I could log in and check the information.

Array

The windows phones have this feature tied to Cortana. You can tell it it give you a reminder when you walk into a specific store, home or work (or really any address)
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses. I'd like to experience these options in action. Theory was Apple app Reminder would work for reminding me to purchase items I need, but it never did.
    I think you can set this up with Google assistant. You can definitely add to a list, and have a reminder of that list. You may also be able to configure an IFTTT recipe that reminds you of the list when you get to a geographic location like the Supermarket, or remind you of the list at a certain date and time.
    https://ifttt.com/categories/shop-smarter

Once you get into the habit of making lists you won't need a reminder every time you walk into a store.

For the freight. I picture the app working off my company name more than a tracking number. I can't have every freight lines app. I picture a place (website) where the scanned information from the freight lines went, and then sent me an alert or I could log in and check the information.
    Someone would have to build that. In the meanwhile you don't need each company's app, you just need to allow alerts. The alerts come via email. I can't be specific because I don't know who you're getting deliveries from.

When I was using Inbox ( Google) it gathered all of the emails I allowed it to and separated delivery alerts for me. I think gmail does this too if you are using the same email for whatever it is you're having delivered or ordered.
    https://www.google.com/inbox/

The bigger problem isn't whether or not you can do this, you can. The tech exists. You just need to play with a few things and learn some stuff. More importantly is if the people or companies that you want to get alerts from actually use any kind of tech that will allow you to get alerts. If not, you won't be able to build that infrastructure for them.

The best bet is to just ask them. Many companies have this in place, you just need to sign up for it or activate it within your account.

Overall, this tech exists. It's just a matter of setting it up.

What kind of phones and computers do you use? Android? Windows? Apple? Something else?
    Knowing this will go along way in knowing which direction to steer you. I don't know Apple stuff, but I know enough Android, Google Apps, Windows, and Alexa stuff to tell you what's out there.

Array

I've always wanted an app I can input things I need (light bulbs, string, bananas, a 3/8 inch 9/16ths deep socket).
    Where are you shopping where you can get both bananas and a 3/8 drive, 9/16 deep socket?

To know the day they are going to come would be great and to have a window of arrival would be even greater.
    If you figure it out, let me know. Could've used it today. Stepped out for an early lunch at 11:30 and when I got back at 11:55 there was a truck waiting for me to unload a machine. I was told that it was going to arrive next week.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Maybe this has at least one thing you need. (Android)
    Deliveries Package Tracking app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...liveries&hl=en