Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Attracted so many new customers, we had to turn people away. How we did it…

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    I'm still questioning the cost. It's a little strange that you have no idea what it costs people or how you get them to agree to the cost.

Anyone can come up with ideas when they don't have to worry about real numbers.
    Never said I have no idea what it costs people or how to get them to agree to the cost. The cost (to the restaurant, not my client) is whatever it costs the restaurant to provide the free meal to the lady. What I told you was the OUR cost was nothing to provide the food.

We got them to agree by simply targeting restaurants that have done BOGO deals in the past.

Not going to comment on the "new or not new" concept any longer. Again, its completely irrelevant.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonLewis View Post
    Never said I have no idea what it costs people or how to get them to agree to the cost. The cost (to the restaurant, not my client) is whatever it costs the restaurant to provide the free meal to the lady. What I told you was the OUR cost was nothing to provide the food.

We got them to agree by simply targeting restaurants that have done BOGO deals in the past.
    OK, but from what you're saying all of the benefit went to you. Your client built his list and you made money. But what was in it for the restaurant? If they already run these types of deals, why did they need you? There had to be some benefit to them to pay for your list building.

Also, based on this does it mean that this only works with restaurants who already have BOGO nights? So basically you're piggy backing something that the restaurants were already doing? Still not seeing why the restaurants agreed to this. Maybe you could expound on that a little. After all, this is a business discussion forum. I'm assuming your reasoning for posting it was to talk about it and offer advice to others, right?

Array

Harold,

I forgot to add, you were talking about restaurants knowing their exact cost of doing deals like these. Well... they should know. But again, that has nothing to do with us. I simply get them agree to do the deal and move on. Their costs has nothing to do with us.

Why are you so concerned about whether or not we know their costs?

Array

OK, but from what you're saying all of the benefit went to you. Your client built his list and you made money. But what was in it for the restaurant? If they already run these types of deals, why did they need you? There had to be some benefit to them to pay for your list building?

Also, based on this does it mean that this only works with restaurants who already have BOGO nights? So basically you're piggy backing something that the restaurants were already doing? Still not seeing why the restaurants agreed to this. Maybe you could expound on that a little. After all, this is a business discussion forum. I'm assuming your reasoning for posting it was to talk about it and offer advice to others, right?
    The benefit to them is a TON of exposure. As someone who understands marketing, I'm sure you can understand that just because they had a BOGO deal in the past, doesn't mean a lot of people knew about it. It doesn't mean they got any results from it.

So yes, we are piggy backing off something they did in the past or something they are currently doing, but with much more exposure for them.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Harold,

I forgot to add, you were talking about restaurants knowing their exact cost of doing deals like these. Well... they should know. But again, that has nothing to do with us. I simply get them agree to do the deal and move on. Their costs has nothing to do with us.

Why are you so concerned about whether or not we know their costs?
    Because you're on a business forum, talking to people who are in business. When we share advice we typically like to know things like cost. When someone just posts that something works with no regard for what it costs to do, or how it worked, we ask questions because we typically don't believe "...it just does".

So consider that maybe someone here has a restaurant, as some people here do, or any other kind of business and is interested in your experience and how this whole thing works. I'm trying to understand how you got people to agree in case someone else wants to run a similar promotion. What it costs matters to people who are writing the checks. How do you get restaurants to agree?

You're the one who posted that you did so well that you had to turn people away, so since you have the floor, and it's your post about your experience and expertise in this, I want to know how it works from start to finish.

Is that a problem?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The benefit to them is a TON of exposure. As someone who understands marketing, I'm sure you can understand that just because they had a BOGO deal in the past, doesn't mean a lot of people knew about it. It doesn't mean they got any results from it.
    So the deal for the restaurant is that you'll bring exposure to their BOGO offer in exchange for letting your client piggy back the night and build his email list?
    So this will only work under those exact circumstances? So say if a restaurant in your area does a BOGO and does just fine, then they wouldn't be a good candidate because they don't need you, right? OK, this makes sense. Cross promotion. Done all of the time. Good for you.

What were you able to do differently to promote the BOGO nights for the restaurants that they hadn't thought of or had success with before?
    And was there a cost to it? How did you get the exposure?

Array

Because you're on a business forum, talking to people who are in business. When we share advice we typically like to know things like cost. When someone just posts that something works with no regard for what it costs to do, or how it worked, we ask questions because we typically don't believe "...it just does".

So consider that someone here has a restaurant, as some people here do, or any other kind of business and is interested in your experience and how this whole thing works. I'm trying to understand how you got people to agree in case someone else wants to run a similar promotion. What it costs matters to people who are writing the checks.

You're the one who posted that you did so well that you had to turn people away, so since you have the floor, and it's your post about your experience and expertise in this, I want to know how it works from start to finish.

Is that a problem?
    Not a problem at all. The reason I thought the actual specific cost for the restaurant was not important is because this strategy is not for the restaurant, it is for the company organizing the event.

The cost for the restaurant is pretty straight forward. If they have done a BOGO in the past, they know their cost, which is their food costs and possibly labor costs. Though as the event organizer, we have absolutely no need to know the actual numbers of their cost. As long as they are okay with the promo, we move forward.

Array

So the deal for the restaurant is that you'll bring exposure to their BOGO offer in exchange for letting your client piggy back the night and build his email list?
    So this will only work under those exact circumstances? So say if an restaurant in your area does a BOGO and does just fine, then they wouldn't be a good candidate because they don't need you, right? OK, this makes sense.

What were you able to do differently to promote the BOGO nights for the restaurants that they hadn't thought of or had success with before?
    Exactly. Regarding the actual promotion, social media and word of mouth. Word of mouth took care of most of it. Ladies were telling all of their friends about it, and guys and telling their buddies, etc. I personally had several guy friends that wanted to use it as a way to take different women out without paying for their meal... lol

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Not a problem at all. The reason I thought the actual specific cost for the restaurant was not important is because this strategy is not for the restaurant, it is for the company organizing the event.

The cost for the restaurant is pretty straight forward. If they have done a BOGO in the past, they know their cost, which is their food costs and possibly labor costs. Though as the event organizer, we have absolutely no need to know the actual numbers of their cost. As long as they are okay with the promo, we move forward.
    If I may add a word of advice from experience: As an event organizer, the more you know about the people you deal with and their businesses and yes even care about their costs, the better you'll be, the more clients you'll get, and the better your ideas will grow and mature and you'll make a lot more money for a much longer time.

If you walked into my office to tell me how great you are, and backed it up with being able to tell me what the ROI was for your previous events and it's participants. I'd listen. If the numbers made sense, I may even spend more with you than you were hoping for.

If you walked in and acted like you didn't know or care what it cost other people, the meeting would be over before your seat got warm.

Just telling you how most business people think. It's always about the money and the costs. ESPECIALLY restaurants.

Array

If I may add a word of advice from experience: As an event organizer, the more you know about the people you deal with and their businesses and yes even care about their costs, the better you'll be, the more clients you'll get, and the better your ideas will grow and mature and you'll make a lot more money for a much longer time.

If you walked into my office to tell me how great you are, and backed it up with being able to tell me what the ROI was for your previous events and it's participants. I'd listen. If the numbers made sense, I may even spend more with you than you were hoping for.

If you walked in and acted like you didn't know or care what it cost other people, the meeting would be over before your seat got warm.

Just telling you how most business people think. It's always about the money and the costs. ESPECIALLY restaurants.
    I am aware of the restaurant's cost. Again, it is their cost to provide a BOGO meal, a cost that each restaurant already has figured out. And the ones that agreed have no problem with it.

It seems as though you want one big number for the total costs incurred by all the restaurants together. Am I wrong?

If I'm right though, that is a worthless number and a waste of time to try and calculate. My client wanted exposure and more patients. That is what I provided.

I did that by organizing the event. Is it now up to me to get the restaurants to participate, and each restaurant already knows their cost.

The key point is that the restaurants are doing something they have already done before, just with a different twist. You act like I don't care about their costs. Not true... what I'm saying is the restaurants already have their costs figured out. I don't need to know their exact numbers. For what?

Regarding ROI for the client, of course I talk ROI with the client. No doubt.
    Last edited by BrandonLewis; 10-04-2016 at 06:08 PM.