Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Step by Step Instructions to get Higher Ranking in Search Results

I agree whole heatedly with your principles. Some of them pose some very difficult barriers though. The case with restaurants. It is very hard to define where your target market spends it time because your target market can not be defined. If you are a very upscale restaurant it becomes easier, but just an average restaurant... It is far to difficult.

Same thing for basic services. How does a painter define his market?

It would be nice if you can contribute a list of the most common steps you would take with any business that comes to you with a website and wants you to do some SEO, your general steps for the code etc.

You said in some posts the keywords are important right? Ok there is a step.

Cant you summarize a general process based on what steps would be the most productive that cross over to any website?

Also, with a new site waiting out the google's ageing delay, do you believe it is a good idea to ride on the back of all those sites I mentioned to get placement. Merchant circle etc. As well as using tose sites to get traffic.

Regardless of your previous posts, here is a topic board on the steps to get a page ranked so lets make this simple for the future readers and summarize your tips here......

Lets extend the time frame to 6 months, and lets change the context to the Top 25 tips to SEO your website.

If you care about the readers then lets produce a summary list of SEO tips they can run with. We can take that list and rename the thread, erase the garbage and give them something really valuable they can print and begin to work on.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You're right about defining a market not being an easy thing. I won't say it's impossible though. It may seem like you can't define it, but you usually can. I'll go with your restaurant example. Right off the bat your restaurant is going to serve a certain kind of food. That helps define it immediately. For the sake of argument let's say it's a Mexican restaurant. Also your location defines the market. People will travel a good distance for an upscale restaurant. They will only travel so far from home for the average restaurant.

Sticking with the Mexican food you've eliminated all those people who don't like Mexican food. You can also choose to server very spicy, medium spicy, or low to no spicy food. As a customer I've always preferred the medium spicy. As I've gotten older my taste buds still agree, but my body usually objects so I have to go low to no spicy.

Your restaurant could create the spiciest food around and thus appeal to all those people who really want their Mexican food spicy. You could the other end and offer very little spice to people like me or perhaps to families with kids. You could go after a market that wants real authentic Mexican food. You could go after a market that likes to be entertained and have a Mariachi band playing every night. In that case the food may not be as important as the atmosphere. You could go after a different crowd who's more interested in your tequila and sangria.

I know when I first started in business and someone told me to figure out my market I was a bit lost. It seemed like my market was anyone who wanted a website, which wasn't much of a definition. I knew I didn't want to work with large corporations so my market was refined a bit to small business. Still too large. Over time and after working with a few clients I further refined things more to micro-businesses and even to certain kind of micro-businesses. The kind where when my client calls we're just as likely to talk about general stuff as we are about their websites.

A few years later I started working more and more with WordPress in part to serve my market. Because of its open source nature and the development community around it I could offer my clients more than they could get by having something custom developed.

When I saw my market as everyone there wasn't much to differentiate me from everyone else. As I define my market more I'm able to do more to appeal to a smaller group of people, but to those people I become a better choice than others designer/developers. I'm sure over the years I'll continue to refine my market and continue to tailor my services toward a more specific group.

I think it seems impossible at first to figure out who your market is, but if you start with some definition and keep refining it you'll find your way.

With the restaurant maybe they ask their customers to fill out a survey. They could offer a coupon or a free meal in exchange for the survey results. They could and should continue to offer different surveys from time to time. Ask some basic demographic information. Ask questions to help them decide what meals are preferred. Leave an open ended box for suggestions. Observe what days are the busiest, the emptiest. Which foods sell more on which nights.

As far as summarizing SEO I've done that in a bunch of places already. Here are a few:

How to approach SEO - One of the first threads on this forum

An Introduction To Search Engine Optimization - Something I wrote for Kristine's (one of the admins here) blog about a year and a half ago.
    On-Page SEO - A follow up to the post above

The latter two posts above were written for a very newbie audience in regards to SEO and blogging.

The posts above aren't in list format, but hopefully they'll suffice for now. I've also written a 6? part tutorial on my own blog, but it's quite a few years old now and probably dated. I've been meaning to update the series for awhile, but never seem to get to it. I'll make a note to try and get to it sooner rather than later, though I won't make any promises.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Your comment on the Mexican restaurant brings to mind a few vertical and horizontal issues that can be killers. They are more marketing related than SEO but my thoughts are that you need to be very careful not to limit your customer base.

Do you remember Casa Bonita in Denver, not sure if it is still there but they had that amazing entertainment but the food was really bad. I think it closed or changed hands because even the entertainment was not worth eating their food for.

I like the mariachi idea, good way to market that is "mariachi Friday" not all people are going to like that noise so keep it to one day a week for the people that do. You do not want to drive anyone away.

When I lived in Australia there was this Turkish restaurant that had belly dancers on Saturday. I was sold. Food was great, so were the bellies.

I am working on a revision to the list you may find more palatable and perhaps it will get some better constructive involvement that this thread has.

If you would be so kind to split the thread when I post it and delete the current one I think we could really do some good with the new concept and keep people from getting confused.

Have you seen that Google wave platform? It is all open source. It is really really going to be a fantastic thing to have. it is a very disruptive technology. I think there would be some good opportunities for you with it.

Default 25 tips to get your webpage ranked higher in search results.

Here is a list of 25 tips to get your website ranked higher in search results.

Perhaps we could have a forum debate as to what should be removed and added to the list.

I have left the last two items out on purpose to get input from the members of the forum.

When the article is finished I would like the URL's of members websites that have contributed to the creation of the list as I will publish this article.

If you are not interested in having your URL listed I wil not do so. This is strictly an opt in opportunity as I will be promoting the finished article because I think with everyone's input we can create a very good list of tips to help a small business owner in his SEO persuit.

Vangogh, I hope this meets with your approval and you would be an active participant in the discussion of this list. Can you please split the thread and create a new one and delete the former discussion.

Assuming of course you have created a good website with useful information and unique content, these are your next steps.

1. Verify the code in your page using the W3c validation tool and fix the errors.

If a crawler can not easily navigate through your site due to errors in the code you could have some problems. A few errors are probably ok, but if you have 30 or more, you are probably asking for trouble.

2. Optimize your keywords for the most popular keyword terms.

Keywords are very important, these are the search terms that people are going to use t find you. Optimize your keyword in your title, H1 and H2 tags and have a variant or two mentioned in your first paragraph.

3. Create a blog so you have something to submit to Digg, Blog Catalog, Technorati, EzineArticles, etc. Wordpress is best for the platform, make sure to use the SEO plugin for Wordpress and fill out all the SEO options for an article. (tags, keywords, descriptions, etc.)

Blogs are a good way to be found. The more sites you submit to the better your chances are that you are going to be found and get your site linked to. The more quality links you can create, the better.

4. Submit a sitemap to Google, Yahoo, and Bing (search "sitemap generator" for a free online tool that will create one for you)

With new websites, submitting a sitemap to the search engines helps to expedite the indexing process. Rather than just submitting a single URL, show the search engines your sites structure.

5. Write another article for your blog.

The more content you create, the better your chances are of getting linked to.

6. Participate in “dofollow” forums, post comments and questions.

Make sure you include links to your website so people and search engines can see you outside your web page. This helps create vital links to your website and DOES help with page rank over time.

7. Write another article for your blog.

8. Build a Squidoo lens for your website.

Squidoo is a neat little site for creating a mini webpage and this also helps your website to be found.

9. Look into a traffic exchange service to help boost traffic to your site. A good one that comes to mind is ClixSense.

You probably won’t get any quality links to your site this way but real people are viewing your site. It does not cost a lot to participate in, and some of those viewers ate likely using the site to advertise the same way you are, so there is a chance someone may see something in your site they are interested in. Some pretty big corporate brands use this site so there could be some value in it.

10. Submit your website to the DMOZ directory.

Though the quality of the DMOZ directory has gone down hill a bit as it is maintained by volunteers, it is free to submit to and if you get in the directory, it certainly will not hurt.

11. Comment on some blog articles related to your business.

Go where your target market hangs out and you will be seen. Don’t forget to hyperlink your name to your website. Don’t just post an http link, use your company name and make it an http hyperlink to your website. Your company name will give some relevance to the link.

12. Get all your friends to bookmark your site in Google Bookmarks and in Yahoo's Delicious, at least 20 of them.

But make sure you tell them to tag the bookmark with a keyword. For example if you have a jewelry store tell them to tag the bookmark with the word jewelry. This will help other bookmark searchers find you and if you get enough bookmarks it is possible to end up on the popular bookmarks page and this will drive more traffic to your site.

13. Promote your website on Twitter and Facebook.

Try to get people that run businesses similar to yours to follow you. Tweet your URL on Friday as that is the day most people follow their tweets. It is possible to get a good link this way. Facebook has groups that will be made up of people in your target market.

14. Write another article for your blog

15. Make sure you have updated all your accounts in Technorati, Digg, Blog Catalog, and EzineArticles

Pretty self explanatory, you need to keep your sites updated for the most impact.

16. Make some more comments in forums.

Again, hang out where your target market does. It is possible to get some good links this way.

17. Write another article for your blog.

18. Pay PR web for a press release

One of the good things with PRweb is your news release is guaranteed to be shown in yahoo news. A good chance for someone in your market to find you.

19. Make sure you get a listing on the Yellowpages website.

These sites place high in search results so it makes it easier for your customers to find you. It is free to submit your business, though I would opt to spring for their basic package.

20. Pay Yahoo to be listed in their directory.

Yahoo is being purchased by Microsoft so it is anyone’s guess what will happen to the directory, for the time being a listing in the Yahoo directory gets you in the yahoo search results.

21. Build a web page on MerchantCircle.

I think this is one of the best things a new company can do to be found at the top of the search results. Keep focus on optimizing the keywords in your MerchantCirle site as this is what will determine where your MC listing will be found in search results. They also have some very good services for small businesses and I consider them to be a “must use” service.

22. Write another article for your blog.

23. Submit your website to the ZoomInfo directory.

This is just another outlet for you to be found buy people that are interested in your goods and services.

Though different business will have different SEO and marketing requirements, this list will be a good place to start and steer you in the right direction.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not going to split the posts and have the same conversation again. I don't see any point to that. This list isn't really that much different from your original one.

Instead of splitting this post I'll close the thread, since it's outlived any usefulness it might have had.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals