Thread: Depreciation of vehicle when converting use from personal to business

Default Depreciation of vehicle when converting use from personal to business

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure this out:

Purchased new car on 12/01/2012 for $65,000, for personal use. I assume that this is the "in service date"
    Started a business on 5/1/2016, without any use of the car, personal nor business (not sure if this is relevant)
    Started another business on 8/1/2016, from then on business use of the car is 100%.
    Fair market value of the car on 8/1/2016 (KellyBlueBook) is $37,000.

Am I correct in the following assumptions?:
    1. I cannot use section 179 deduction, because the in service date is in a year prior to its first business use.
    2. I cannot use any special depreciation allowance, because business use in 2016 started after the first half of the year, so business use for the year cannot be 50% or more for the year, even though business use is 100% since business started.
    3. I cannot use MACS method of depreciation for the same reason (<50% business use in first year of business depreciation).
    4. I should use straight line method of depreciation.
    5. I should depreciate the car over 5 years (60 months) starting 8/1/2016, based on FMV value of $37,000, even if it is not likely that the car will have such a useful life (it is already 44 months old when it starts to be used for business).

How should I depreciate the car for use in the business started on 8/1/2016?
    How would I determine the future residual value for depreciation calculation?

Thanks much.

Array

Is your business a sole proprietorship, a S-Corp, C-Corp, or LLC?

Who now owns the title to the car, you or your business corporate entity?

Banned
    Array

I'm not sure I would go down the path you're going.

Since the company doesn't own the car, I would take the maximum per-mile deductible for every mile driven in the car for business. That's a direct expense deduction for your business AND cash in your pocket (as opposed to a depreciation schedule that is just a reduction in your company tax owed).

IANAA. You should have one to get an answer to this question that matches YOUR specific situation.

The company is an LLC, disregarded entity. The car title is in my personal name. My objective is tax reduction; mileage is quite low, the standard deduction would not get me much either.