Thread: Finding first franchisee (several questions)

Default Finding first franchisee (several questions)

Hello,

My name is Anthony. My father and his business partner own a successful home services business that operates in Washington and Idaho. The company provides full service landscaping and home exterior maintenance for households. Around six months ago, the company took the first steps into franchising, registering with Franchise Direct (a company focused on locating and vetting potential franchisees) and completing all necessary steps for the franchising process, such as development of the franchisee handbook, etc. Initially, the response was very good; many leads came in and were promising; however, after interviewing the potential candidates, none met all of the qualifications necessary (some were located outside of our target franchise regions, didn't have enough capital, not enough experience, etc.). My father understands the importance of signing a high-quality franchisee (especially as your 'first'), and so they decided to pass on these franchisees.

The stream of leads has seemed to dry up, and I have been brought into the company to help with the franchise process. I do not come from a business background (education), so any advice would be much appreciated.

Currently, this is what is being done or has been done:

* Our website contains links to complete franchise information

* Profile on Franchise-Direct with franchisee vetting service

* Craigslist posts in preferred franchise regions

My questions:

1. What is the best way to find high-quality franchisees?

2. What is the best way to find franchisees within a specific region? (Pacific NW, for example).

3. What is the best way to "get the word out" about the company in areas where the company currently does not operate? (e.g. how would we find potential franchisees in Seattle area, for example, when the company does not operate there?)

4. What is the best way to increase awareness of the company, specifically to franchisees?

5. Is there any other tips that you would give me? While the company has been in the process of franchising for six months, I am just starting at the company.

Thank you in advance,

Anthony

Array

I would guess that your first few franchisees would be the most difficult and would also agree that it is important that you have someone for those first few that has what it takes. So onto my thoughts.

Probably your best bet would be to get a booth at the Far West Show. Unfortunately you just missed it. It is held in late August I believe in Portland. When you are ready to go national the GIE show in Louisville in October would be the one.

You could try print ads in some of the landscaper magazines. Turf and Lawn and Landscape are probably the best two. Pro and Landscape Maintenance are ok as well. There are a few more. Some may let you do a regional ad. I know Turf has 4 regions for their ads but the regions might cover more states than you want right now. There is also a card deck that targets landscape people. I am not sure if they let you target smaller regions or not.

I am trying to think if there is any way Lawnsite might help you but unless you are an advertiser they won't let you promote anything and it isn't cheap advertising.

There are some regional or state magazines that are put out by the state Landscaper associations. It is not something I follow very close.

If I get any other ideas I will post them but those are my thoughts at the moment.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd guess, if you want high quality franchisees, putting an advertisement on Craig's list isn't the way to go. If you want serious candidates, with the backing and resources to make this work, you have to look serious. Make sure everything that is going out about this franchise opportunity is professional. Don't neglect local media either. If you want to get the word out in Seattle, send a press release to Seattle newspapers and business related magazines. You've also got a nice local interest story for the local news, local business looking to expand, take on franchisees. So that's another avenue, pitch it to the news stations in your market.

Banned
    Array

Look on business broker buy/sell listing sites for putting a listing about your franchise opportunity.

I'm not sure the scope of what you mean by "full service landscaping." Do you mean the type that use heavy equipment?

From my experience many yard care and home remodeling people are working under the table, even good ones. The idea of being legit and paying a franchise fee may not be appealing.

I see many franchises offered on BizBuySell.

Array

There are quite a few franchises available in landscaping but what I would consider full service landscaping has a less in the way of franchises.

Some such as Chemlawn specialize in spraying lawns.

There are a number of franchises that are more about being an LCO ( Lawn Care) which tends to be more mowing lawns, trimming hedges, etc.

To me a full service landscaper would be one that mows but also does landscape design and install, hardscapes (patio pavers and retaining walls) and possibly plows snow in the winter.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com