Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch any business related TV shows?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Do you watch any business related TV shows?

I use to be hooked on 'Shark Tank', and I do still enjoy it. But I think I've pretty much gotten the gist of whatever I'm going to learn from it. That being that ideas are a dime a dozen, and no one cares. What people care about is have you proven the concept, how much skin do you have in the game, and is the product or service saleable to a large audience to make it worth while for an investor. A lot of people go there with nothing more than a small scale idea that is solely about making them money, but not scalable enough for an investor to care.

Now I'm hooked on 'The Profit'. Been binge watching episodes the past week and have learned a lot of things that I didn't know, specifically when he deals with some of the retail shops, and people with products. It also seems less scripted than the others in that he doesn't fund everyone, and there are clear reasons why.

For me the really interesting part is the varying personalities of some small business people. Some are real egomaniacs and control freaks, and some seem to be really genuine and you really root for them to succeed. In almost every case of those who didn't get funded, or failed, the owner was a complete jerk, but they're opinion of themselves were that they were just "driven". Some people have no business managing other humans.

Having been in the bar business I've watched Bar Rescue, but it feels too scripted. I learn more about how successful restaurants operate, and find their niche by watching the shows on Travel and Food Networks.

I'm also hooked on American Greed. I'm still floored that so many people still pull off ponzi schemes and the people they take STILL never see it coming. Amazing.

Do you guys watch any business related TV shows? Do you think you learn anything from them?

Array

Dragon's Den/Shark Tank a fair bit. I usually watch these for the ideas and businesses that are being presented. The gutsiest ask I saw was for over $50M to build, from nothing (he didn't even have the land under contract), a high end resort with a whole new rating system for hotels and restaurants and a high speed race track. The best part of the presentation was the tool used - easel, cheap and large sketching paper, and what appeared to be a no name brand marker.

I've never heard of "The Profit" and watch "American Greed" when I'm looking for a new show to watch and it pops into my mind.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

My wife and I both consider Shark Tank to be one of our favorites and never miss it. I can't say I have learned anything from it but it is fun to watch. I think if I were involved with a start up and looking for an angel investor it would help me understand what they look for.

We watched a couple of Dragon Den episodes but didn't really like it that much. They just don't have the energy in that show that Shark Tank does.

The Profit is my total favorite show. I just really enjoy it and do think I have learned from it. I just find some of the things Marcus does to be amazing and I like his people, product process concept. The only problem I have is that it is on CNBC and that isn't in my cable package so I have to work to see it but still have never missed an episode and have watched many multiple times. I believe the new season starts tomorrow. I have also heard he has a spin off show this year called the Partner. It is only going to run 6 episodes but it is about him looking for one person to help him turn companies around with a pay of $ 350,000 and a three year contract. I don't know if I will watch much of it or not.

I like American Greed as well, and watch Mad Money on occasion.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

I really don't watch much TV, but occasionally get to see Shark Tank, one or another of the restaurant make-over shows, Flip-or-Flop, or Income Property... (those last two are about business, right? along with Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, Shipping Wars, and Deadliest Catch... all business-related!) I would really like to see the hotel make-over shows (they'ld be relevant to one of my businesses), but I am old-school (e.g. cable) and always seem to miss them. I suppose if I got with the modern times, I could watch the things I want to see on-demand over the internet....

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I've seen The Profit and liked it. That's probably one I would watch on a regular basis. I haven't seen any of the others. Although a customer of ours was just on West Texas Investors Club, and I might watch their episode.

Array

I haven't been able to see the West Texas Investors Club but listened to a few episodes on my Sirrus Radio when I was traveling and did find it amusing and interesting. They are characters. As I recall in one of the episodes I listened to they were concerned if a woman had enough guts to help her business survive during tough times so they told her they were going to take her snipe hunting and took her out into a snake infested woods and left her all alone with a rifle. She did stay there and passed the test so they did invest with her.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

No. I used to catch a couple Shark Tanks but not any more. I find tv to be too scripted. I do watch American Greed. I'm always on the lookout for a video or story online that tells the tale of a business.

Array

Saw teasers last night for a new business show forthcoming on the Discovery network, "Blue Collar Backers."

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tallen View Post
    Saw teasers last night for a new business show forthcoming on the Discovery network, "Blue Collar Backers."
    Looks interesting.
    Blue Collar Backers | Discovery
    I'll be sure to check it out.

The Profit is one of the few shows I have my Playstation set to DVR. What never ceases to amaze me on there is how many folks are reluctant to make their manufacturing process more efficient by outsourcing it to someone who is in that business or negotiate with their suppliers. Then you have many that don't even know their numbers.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support