Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding a blend of investor and mentor

Array

Not exactly. You are offering an opportunity to be part of an ongoing concern. Although every business is at risk at any time you are well past the extra risky start up stage. You also presumably already know the business. You are smart enough to recognize where you need assistance. In your case it is more of an opportunity than a gamble for someone to participate. Big difference compared to a fresh start up. If you can demonstrate that the business is viable and that a little cash injection and some marketing help will result in greater success you can probably find who/what you need.

Sit. Stay safe!
    Array

Thanks Paul, that's encouraging. My numbers are good, just very, very small.

One word of advice from my experience is to not overvalue what investors/mentors say that they are going to bring. Sure, some of them are absolutely great at delivering value, but there are plenty of them over-promising and under-delivering in my opinion.
    We help Swedish SMEs to get the right financing at the best rates at https://www.kompar.se - Check out our public business loan comparison at jämför företagslån - Read more about financing in Sweden at Företagsfinansiering

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Had to swing back around to this thread to share a recent experience.

I am in the middle of shutting down a side business that never got launched. I joined a friend to provide technical assistance and operational support for their start up.
    They had the attitude that if they found the money everything else would fall into place. Well, they didn't really have a viable plan, didn't know how to adjust when it didn't work, and nothing fell into place. Why? Because no matter how much money you raise or spend you still need to know what you're doing.

Then 2 of the only 3 partners started fighting over one partner's lack of knowledge and failure to deliver their end of the work, and it was downhill from there. Now it's a total loss.

If the main person is not the most knowledgeable person in the start up or doesn't put in the work to learn what they need to, it will fail.
    Money cannot overcome that.