Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting a new business with a partner and I'm a little spooked

Array

Gotta love the spam from people trying to market a get rich quick scheme.

@streetsmartmarketing, read the forum rules before posting this kind of crap.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

Stop stressing and get going! All you have is an idea. You need to implement. If she has the funding, the skill and an established business you can hitch to then pin her down and lock her up. Don’t look at her and her associates with trepidation, put them to use.

Consider yourself fortunate that someone actually likes your idea, and can help, and wants to participate. Without her you are back to just an idea.
    Someone, somewhere will try to steal your idea as soon as it looks successful. Be the first one out there with as much support as possible.

I don't know what you do or what she does. If her company is established and successful then it might make sense to be a subsidiary (or associated). It may add some gravitas immediately. You don't have to give up control. Form a new company, maybe LLC, you own a percentage and her existing company owns a percentage. You run it and use her resources.

If she’s not in then move on.

That is a really tricky situation to be in and I really hope it all worked out. If, in the future, you need a good nondisclosure agreement, SmackDocs.com is a great resource. They help you create quick, simple, professional startup documents. Here is a link to their free nondisclosure agreement document: https://www.smackdocs.com/downloads/...e-agreement-2/

Default Business start

• Step 1: Do Your Research. ...
    • Step 2: Make a Plan. ...
    • Step 3: Plan Your Finances. ...
    • Step 4: Choose a Business Structure. ...
    • Step 5: Pick and Register Your Business Name. ...
    • Step 6: Get Licenses and Permits. ...
    • Step 7: Choose Your Accounting System. ...
    • Step 8: Set Up Your Business Location.

Long time business owner here. If you're concerned about her don't make her a partner. You could start the business and hire her either as an independent contractor or an employee and give her a plan where she can become a partner of up to 30% (or whatever number under 50% that you think makes sense) based on her achieving some very specific goals. Part of the deal could be that she gives up those shares in the company if she leaves or leaves within a specific time frame. This would give her an incentive to stay on board and help the company become successful. I'd suggest not making it 50-50. As others have mentioned there has to be someone in charge of a company and there can be no questions about who it is. Good luck with it.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by James.C View Post
    That is a really tricky situation to be in and I really hope it all worked out. If, in the future, you need a good nondisclosure agreement, SmackDocs.com is a great resource. They help you create quick, simple, professional startup documents. Here is a link to their free nondisclosure agreement document: https://www.smackdocs.com/downloads/...e-agreement-2/
    Hello do you see this post is from 2017?