Thread: Keeping track of mobile service techs

Default Keeping track of mobile service techs

Hello,
    I own a garage door installation and repair company and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to keep track of subs/employees. We have on employee on the road and we need to figure a way to track the supplies he uses, to make sure he is only using our supplies for our jobs. I have a feeling that he has been giving his personal phone number out to customers but have no wa of proving this

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't think there's anyway to track if he gives his phone number out. I'm curious, but wouldn't he get supplies from you?

It sounds like you don't trust this person and if so why continue to have him as an employee? Wouldn't it make more sense to find someone you do trust?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Company vehicle? There are plenty of fleet tracking services out there if you need to track it's location.

As for supplies, it's as simple as tracking your inventory and knowing what is in your warehouse, what is on a truck, and what is at a job site. For large parts, only send out what needs to go on that trip. For small parts (screws, rollers, brackets, etc.), keep the trucks stocked, but keep track of the rate of consumption. You should know how many of each part a job will take, but there should be allowances for a certain level of shrink caused by broken or lost pieces. On things where you use a lot in quantity per job, track the inventory by weight.

As for giving out his personal number - is he stealing side work? Or is he simply offering a direct contact for customers to ask any questions related to their specific installation? Obviously, the former is bad, and the latter could be a good thing but would be better controlled with a company number that routes to his phone.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I agree with everything that's been said above. Sounds like you can easily do a better job of inventory management to know if things are going missing say for off the books jobs.
    As for tracking the subs...they're probably not going to go for you tracking their personal vehicles and phones...I wouldn't.

So, you could buy your subs basic phones with basic service and demand that it be how they communicate with you and your clients. That way you can install a fleet app to track them. You may also be able to just buy the service and have them install the apps on their existing phones.

It may also be an opportunity to up your customer service and further brand your business in the mind of your customers. I'm sure there's an app or a service like what Safelite uses that sends the customer a picture of the service worker who is showing up, and an ETA on their arrival. Then anything that they do outside of that system will be clearly unsanctioned which a lot of customers may shy away from, and it may help down the road with any liability or warranty issues that arise from them doing unsanctioned work or misrepresenting the company.

Along with giving them all general business cards with a number that goes back to you, and demand that each is used when dealing with your customers. Or a simple receipt with your company contact info on it.