Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many domains?

I currently own four different domains, all hosted in different locations. When I first started the business I registered GetaHatOn.com then my web master recommended that I quickly register AaronHats.com. I now host my blog on AaronHats.com and sell from GetaHatOn.com. About three years ago I bought an existing web site TheHatSite.com (TheHatSite.co.uk) because of all its great content and it was a bargain. I link all of them and the search engines have rewarded us kindly.

Maybe there is a different approach to this as well. All the short .com names are taken. I suspect that eventually people will get used to typing in other tld's. If you have a long or cumbersome .com name and a short easy .biz name is available, why not register that and do a 301 from the .com to the .biz Is there any SEO reason not to do this?

Today, .biz kind of says unprofessional to me, but that will probably change in time.

This could have an impact on emails as well. Its really easy for someone to mess up an email spelled out over the phone if it has a long difficult domain.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Bill Google has show some indication they don't care for .info domains. I think the TLD is cheap right now and used more by spammers than legit folks so they start with a low level of trust. I'm not entirely sure, but that's the impression I've gotten from a few sources.

I'm not sure what the situation is with other extensions, but there are many who still say .edu and .gov have an extra level of trust based on the TLD alone. I think it's other reasons, but you never know. If there is some bias in favor of certain domains there could equally be bias against others.

Again not sure any of the above is true. More speculation and things I've heard.

On the other hand I agree that in time as all the .coms are gone some of the other TLDs will likely become more valuable. I think many of those are already being snatched up and you don't know which will be the one or ones that will gain favor.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Ya, I'm just wondering if its not a good idea to get a few and sit on them for 5 years.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Not like they're expensive now. You'd think in time some are going to go up greatly in value. You may also want to build a small site on each. It probably doesn't have to be anything spectacular, but if you can be bringing in some revenue the domains should be worth that much more.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

So what tld's make sense on a 5 year plan?
    .net
    .biz
    What else?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Well .net has been around for awhile and many of the shorter domains are already gone. Hard to know if .biz is going to do anything.

Don't forget .org

After that it might just be country specific TLDs. They're gaining in popularity so people can spell out words like del.icio.us though that would be a harder market to speculate about.

Array

Using the TLD to spell out words, may become one of the ways around missing a short domain name, it will probably more so come down to how people will recognize sites such as this, and yes i would think it would have a very limited market space, as not all TLD's lead them selves to the ending of words. But then who knows maybe they will realize it is something people want to do and create a TLD such as ".ing" gives a lot of options for spelling things out.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels