Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a brand

Array

The only person who will ever see it is the hat owner. Quality hats aren't cheap - my last hat cost me $400 and took about 3 hours to purchase. I've bought others there, too. I know where to find the shop (even after three moves) ... with or without a url.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'm going to use just the "AH" from our current logo on the liner. I'm still debating what to put on the sweatband. Hat stores have been using the sweatband for their store name for decades so it's not out of place to put something there. Since more than 50% of our customers are from our web site I don't know that our url would be out of place. I still have some time to think about it.

Thanks,

Aaron

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

If it's common to put something there, then your URL would be fine. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't include your URL somewhere. My thought is to find the appropriate place for it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

When it comes to clothing, it seems that most retailers, even upscale retailers, create their brand separate from the store brand itself. I can see why Target might decide that "Merona" or "Xhilaration" might be better than "Target" or "Member's Mark" may be better than "Sam's Club" on a label. But even Marshall Field's (before Macy's dumped the name) gave its clothing lines their own brands in many cases.

I think that there is a perception that "house brands" should be less expensive than other brands. If that is how you want to position the hats, then I think using the store brand is fine, and perhaps even preferable. If you want to position the hats free of any perception tied to a house brand, you may want to consider developing a different brand for your hats

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not sure about the URL on the sweatband. I could see the name of the company, but you don't generally see URLs on clothing, unless it is advertising a specific event. You could do a nice tag or flyer or something that goes with every hat and has all your information.

I have to agree with Frederick on this one. If I'm paying a fairly substantial amount of money for a hat I will remember where I got it. Personally, I'd go for the higher end approach and just use the logo or the name. If the name is there someone can still search for you online and find you easily. To me having the name just seems a little higher end.

That's just me though.

Type Aaron Hats into google and he comes up 1. Because of that, he doesn't need it and it does look tacky. If he didn't have a good web presence for his logo name, then although tacky, I'd put it there somehow.

People do buy clothing, perfumes, etc on logo for status, quality, etc. My wife sure does anyway. Might be worth making a subnich of super high quality or desirable?

On Edit: in the purses my wife likes as well as other things that carry an exclusive label. Quality is a guarantee. You can get just as good quality in cheaper products, but you can't be sure of it. If you private label it, make sure it is always top quality IMO.
    Last edited by billbenson; 07-13-2009 at 09:18 PM.