Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1. What is the best website builder for you?

Array

For building simple sites I would use WordPress. However imo it has its limitations - the interface is cluttered and a bit confusing, and managing a lot of content is difficult. Security is a bit of a problem also.

For sites that have a lot of content or require a lot of design tweaking or some integration with other applications I recommend - modx.com

MODx is a fabulous platform both for developers and for users.

I love SquareSpace because of the templates they provide and not complicated system of building the website.
    InvoiceBerry - an online invoicing & billing software for freelancers and small businesses

Registered Member
    Array

We can answer this from 2 perspectives - one as a seller of websites and businesses online and the other as what our clients want / need.

From a website sellers point of view - wordpress is by far the easiest platform for clients who have limited experience with design / development - indeed for us its quite easy to put up a new site relatively quickly and configure it to how the client wants. Wordpress has limitations compared to others such as Joomla which IMO is a much better content management system then Wordpress. As for the security aspect its also dependent on the server where your website sits - there are many factors that come in to play when a website gets hacked - for example if your on a shared hosting platform and one of the other websites on that server has insecure code allowing exploits it is possible they can then use this to access your site (depending on how the hosting is setup).

For beginners - Wordpress is best suited - lots of tutorial videos on youtube and a smaller learning curve.
    The more advanced will usually want to use Dreamweaver or something similar for "total" control over the code on the site.

Array

Whether the website builder is WYSIWYG or strictly coding... I'm pretty sure I can rock any website builder like a video game.
    Small Business Consultant,
    Olive Branch Business Solutions
    Business Development | Marketing Strategy | Web Development

It all depends on the complexity of the website you are about to build up. If its an easy one then definitely a Wordpress despite all the structure limitations it has so far

Definitely it's WordPress as when I was a beginner the online entrepreneur works with me on WordPress so I found it very easy to use and I didn't use any website creation tools every after using Wordpress
    Special Dicount - 50% for SBF members for Logos - Banners - Business Cards
    www.webpixiee.com

Array

Anyone here code their own websites using html and css? Recently I stumbled onto a thread in another business forum about web development. The majority of the posters claimed learning html was easier and superior over using website builders. The idea of doing freelance web development motivated me to start learning how to code, at times it is difficult but I enjoy it. I know most of the reply's on this thread are directed towards building a website for you own business, but what method would be best for someone who wants to start freelancing with the intention of tuning it into a business?

Array

If you are going to start freelancing you really need to learn HTML and CSS. Learning PHP or another server side language is also helpful. There are lots of web designers who will create web sites based on WordPress. Even doing that there are times the HTML and CSS needs to be modified. I doubt that any even remotely professional web designers use something like Wix to create web sites for their customers. I am sure some freelancers may, but notice I used the word Professional.

The better web designers may use Wordpress or some other CMS but will make their own custom theme and not use a standard theme and just modify the content.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

Thanks turboguy,
    The way I see it HTML and CSS are the foundation of web development.

There are lot of them but generally speaking most popular online platform today is WordPress also there are Joomla and Drupal which is a little bit more complicated for beginners but still good enough and maybe even better than WordPress.