Thread: Am I off to a good start?

Array

Default Am I off to a good start?

I've got an ecommerce site- Dentbread.com that is short and links to my quick shopping cart (which I havn't touched yet). Buttons will direct to separate pages where the user can find dental posters in their desired language via the country flag buttons on the home page.

I had to put keywords on each page even if it looks odd so I might end up on google (I don't have alot of competitors). I don't know anything else about seo.
    It's a godaddy site.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I've never thought about where offices get their posters. I like the niche.
    This should be an easy to design and set up website. I like the fact that you've started doing something, but no you are not off to a good start.

The design is pretty bad. The site looks home made by an amateur that knows nothing about eCommerce.
    I know that's what you are, but you don't have to look like it.

Also you don't need the extra step of attracting people to one website just to click through to the other. That's just wasting time and it's not a good or credible user experience.

Just make your main website your shop, or make the shop your main website. You also don't need to put it on a subdomain. Just use the root URL.
    However, I'm not crazy about the URL. It is of no help to your cause. I'd be willing to be there is something else out there that will actually help your overall marketing.

The fact that you've started to do something is good. So in that respect yes you're off to a good start because you're not just sitting there dreaming.
    But if the question is if your website or the direction you're going is ready for prime time? The answer is no.

Again, this should be a really easy design and set up. Don't over think it. If you don't want to learn design, marketing and ecommerce, then hire someone. There is no way around it. There is no template or drag and drop software that teaches you marketing. You will not get lucky and you don't get points for trying. People don't put their credit cards down because you tried. They need to see professionalism and credibility.

Array

I can just use the shop. Some friends (community office) and family like it. There's a tech company next door I'll see what they think.
    Last edited by Anoura929; 12-12-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Array

To build on what Harold has pointed out...

The shop is a great place to start, as that's where you're going to make your money. If you do indeed decide to just use the shop I would think about a few things... Not keyword stuffing your product content, write it how it should be use a tagging system that will help. I don't have any familiarity with GoDaddy's WYSIWYG ecommerce system so I don't know if they even have that capability.

Your domain name shows me nothing that you do dental posters... maybe the "dent" in the URL but I'm thinking your a baker because it's looks like a first or last name of "Dent" and you make bread... I dont know, but that's what I get out of it.

A tech company is not going to tell you if your website is good for your business... I don't know why people resort to asking a "techie", most techies dont know how to market. Ask someone in MARKETING. Their going to know if your website portrays what your trying to sell. If it's going to convert visitors into leads and leads into customers. There are those rare types, like Harold and myself, that have been doing this long enough where we are techies and marketers at the same time and we've done enough work over the years to know what works and what doesnt work.

So as Harold said, you're on the right track about doing something, but your execution is far from on track.

My advice, hire someone to design and build your site. Get a marketing consultant to help you get it off on the right track, keywords, market research, do's and don'ts of marketing and then go live with it.

If you don't want to do that, take some time, look at your competitors and see what their doing. What does their content look like, what does their calls to actions look like, how are their products presented, what is their domain name, what colors are they using, do you see them doing any adwords or other kind of advertising? These are some questions that need to be answered.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

Array

I'll talk to someone there about the name; they do have marketing experienced people. Thanks for the direction.
    Last edited by Anoura929; 12-15-2015 at 06:07 PM.

You've got so large language buttons that it's hard to understand what is your site about. Try to decrease them.

Array

Thanks for the input about the language buttons.

I actually decided to change the company name and have a friend that i found out works full time making websites and he said he would make one for me so i can get rid of the website builder and make a nicer ecommerce site.

Looks good but do not forget to take all administrator rules into your hands.
    Let me ask you - why did you decide to refuse godaddy - was it unsuitable for you?