Thread: Out of stock items

Default Out of stock items

What is the best way to handle out of stock items on a website? Obviously trying to not have any items out of stock is best, but i have several vendors with long lead times so I will always have some items. In the past I removed out of stock items from the site. Now I have a new site and am debating the best option. I'm leaning toward keeping all items up on the site but using an app that will let customers be emailed when back in stock.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

If you're sure you can fill the orders, I like the idea of letting people know it's out of stock, giving them a realistic expectation of when it will be, and the option to place an order in advance and have it delivered immediately when it's in stock.

I only recommend removing an item from the website if you have no idea when you'll have more. You don't want to lose people who've come there for it, don't find it, and assume you're not carrying it anymore. Because they will find another source and never come back to you.

You also don't want to keep hiding pages from the search results for something temporary.

The email notification is also a good idea.

Array

In the long run, the solution for your situation would be to maintain safety stock. For a particular item check what is the demand/forecast for next month, what is your consumption of those items, based on that come up with minimum quantity of items that you would like to maintain in your inventory. So as soon as your inventory level drops below the safety stock, you need to re-order those items. Always, I mean always keep all items on your website, otherwise you are loosing business.

You're always going to be faced with this problem when dealing with physical products. Not all vendors are going to be as organized as you are. I think the best way to handle it is to mail customers when the items back in stock. But I would also look for a different vendor for that same item, just in case he takes too long.