Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: every July the work load always drops off to nothing

Array

Default every July the work load always drops off to nothing

June 09 was my 2nd busiest month EVER....definately the busiest this year...i probably made 20% of my yearly profit in 1 month...maybe 25%....10 hour work days and bidding every night for 2 more hours..

The day school let out (middle of June) my phone stopped ringing for new jobs...a few minor service calls, but nothing over $800.....I have 1 more week of work..then as of right now i have nothing....im going from 40-50 hours to 4 hours a week...this happened last July also....August picks up some...Then dramatically jumps Sept,Oct,Nov before dying again for the winter.....

Late Spring and Early Fall is when everyone wants home improvement projects done....

anyone else notice this trend? is it construction only?

Array

usually, July is one of my slower months. People are on vacation, etc.

This is pretty common to many businesses, I think (well, not for vacation-type businesses.)
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

Your experience is the same as mine.
    Steve B

Array

i may go on a 3 day vacation next week...take advantage of the lul instead of sitting at home worrying about the business falling apart. I know its just a cycle now

if i go on vacation this website will dramitically slow down w/o my new daily posts....will you guys be ok or should i buy a lap top to bring along?

Array

Please bring a laptop.

I took a 3 day trip last week because my business slowed down a bit earlier than last summer. I gave my cell phone to one of my better employees and he even made me some money while I was gone.

Enjoy the break.
    Steve B

Array

The only business I know of that doesn't go through a July lull is my father in law's mudjacking business (concrete repair...goes in and lifts sagging concrete so it doesn't need to be replaced...a common thing from building in "swampy" places) -- He only works for 4 or 5 months a year so this is time to "make hay while the sun shines"

Enjoy your vacation huggytree!

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think most American businesses go through a Summer lull. It starts around the 4th of July and then things pick again about mid - August.

Definitely take a vacation. You've earned it.

Array

Slow in the summer months. Have you thought about other services you can offer during these slow times? Something either related to or not related to your current business?
    Capital LookUp - Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

Array

Phanio...very smart idea

anyone have any idea's what a plumber could do to keep busy?

i guess you'd have to look at what IS popular in July/August....swimming pools...I could replace pool pumps and sell solar pool heaters...

any other idea's?

work is still busy...when it looks like ill be sitting around the whole next week..bam!...some work comes in....now ive booked next week....July will definately be profitable....it just shows how ive built up my network....i have 50 people actively passing out my name..maybe more...plus home owner referrals
    Last edited by huggytree; 07-10-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Array

You could sell lemonade on the corner of busy streets

Seriously I think the pools idea might be something... or installing hot tubs

Another idea.. while plumbing related... what about lawn irrigation systems? it's the summer when people need to water their lawns/flowers the most.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org