Thread: Business plan- marketing

Default Business plan- marketing

Hello. I have an idea (maybe a far-fetched one) for a business in which I design children's shoes, have them made, and sell them on a website. I realize that this is going to take lots of time and money. I'm ready for that.

Anyway, I am working on the business plan. I am seeking advice for the marketing section. Do I need to hire an agency to do market research for me? I considered consulting with one, to see if they could help me form a marketing plan, but I thought I would ask here first.

I am also not sure how to price merchandise.

Tl;dr: basically I'm a little confused about how to write a marketing plan. Should I consult with a marketing agency at this point in the process?

Array

1) Determine who are your preferred customers
    2) Determine where the best place to get your name and product in front of them
    3) Determine how you would go about accomplishing #2
    4) Implement #3 when ready.

There you go. For the most part (generalization), that is what a marketing agency will be asking you. My bill will be $1000 and 3% of your gross sales that are derived from your following of these steps.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Banned
    Array

I wouldn't sell them on a web site until you were in one or more stores. Shoes get made in bulk (usually overseas), you will be maintaining inventory before you can sell them. You'll need to figure out who your customers are, what they want, what they want to do business with you, what that will cost you as you wait for them to pay you. Look at the buyers who work for the larger shoe retailers to see, because you currently don't have a brand you can push, so they may want you to brand your designs as their brand.

Thanks for the replies.

Fulcrum: I already (loosely) have all of that figured out already! Had no idea it was that simple.

Cool beans.

Array

Everything is a series of steps. It's just figuring them out, and when to take them, that can be overwhelming.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool