Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Common PPC and SEO Errors and Recommendations for Avoiding Them

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

With domain names I think one of Aaron's points is that a new pizza site would be better off spending money to buy an existing domain that's easy to remember than they would be to try to come up with some really long domain. I think too if you're creative enough you can still find a reasonably short domain that includes the word pizza. I agree though, that they become harder to find every day.

I still wonder about the effects of valid code. I try to validate all my code, but other than the show stoppers, I'm not sure search engines care that much. Most of their pages don't validate and I think they're more interested in the content itself than the code. Validating isn't going to hurt at all and I do think there are other reasons why it makes sense to write valid code.

What part of CO were you from Roy? You can see I'm in Boulder now, though I'm originally from New York.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Vangogh,

I think the reason you dont see any problems with bad code and ranking is your looking at pages you probably have coded and they are done right or with only a couple errors/typos. I had one the other day from a client hat had 247 errors in it, it still ranked well so I agree with your statement but when the errors were fixed and Google crawled the site again the rank jumped by 13. That can be a two page improvement.

I dont think a handful of errors is a big deal, but something that is a complete disaster could only gain by sorting the code problems out as in my latest clients case.

I was born in the Springs, went to school in Boulder, but it was much different 22 years ago. I miss it but I do not miss the cold or the hangovers.

I am glad I found this forum, I enjoy reading you guys posts. It's a lot more trade specific than others I have seen and very informative as I am a bit vague on some of the new stuff...

but I am not impressed a topic I made was removed :-(

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I agree if you have 247 errors you should fix them. It's more that you probably don't need to worry about every last one. If you took those 247 errors down to 5 you'd probably see the same results. With so many errors there probably are some show stoppers in there preventing indexing or something else.

Sorry about removing your post before. I'd already placed in back before seeing your sad face above. Usually we try to avoid the posts that are copied from another site and that was the first post of yours I happened to see. Then I found a few more of your posts and realized you posted in good faith and I took a longer look at the thread I deleted and thought it could make for an interesting discussion. No harm, no foul, though in general we prefer original content here.

I've been in Boulder for about 12 years now. It's different even in that time and I had already been hearing how different it was from the years before. Still a nice place. You think it was cold here? Not me. But I did live in Buffalo for a few years so now everything is warmer.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Anything less than 60 and I am FREEZING my tail off. Buffalo? Nooo way man! I have been there... It aint happenin! LOL

I'll keep the original content policy in check from here on out, sorry for not being up to speed. I know the article is a little hokey but you have to remember I deal with a lot of internet newbies and get asked a lot of silly questions so the article is really good for them, I just thought it would be good to have some other view point from someone else that I could add to it to make it better for them. The article makes my job a lot easier, rather than explain it 50 times a month I can say "go read the article on our website."

I think it is a good place for a hands on newbie to start when trying to optimize their page and it gets them involved with the process.

I dont mind giving them advice for free as the clients we deal with don't do anything for themselves and have much deeper pockets. The free advice is a good value add for our website and helps with the traffic numbers.

Thanks for putting it back up!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

No problem for putting it back up. After reading a couple of your other posts I could tell you weren't the drive by copy/paste spammer.

Guess you like the warm weather which explains Florida. I don't mind winter and it really isn't bad here. 60 in January is fine with me.