Thread: Copywriting is the one skill you must have

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Copywriting is the one skill you must have

Over the years I've seen a lot of questions asking why people are visiting their site, but not buying. Much of the time it's because of the site's copy.

Many small business owners don't consider hiring a copywriter. I suspect it's because we all assume it's something we can do ourselves. We all know how to write after all.

Most people haven't been trained or haven't taught themselves how to write in a way that helps persuade people to take action. Whatever your business there's a good chance there's another site out there in the same business. Why should someone buy from you instead of them?

As small business owners we all try to save money where we can. But copywriting in most cases is one place you can least afford to cut costs. Just about every part of your business is impacted by copy. Your advertising, the content on your site, your brochures, etc.

Being able to write effectively and specifically to write in a way that gets people to take the action you want is perhaps the most important skill you can have. And yet so few people are really capable of writing effective copy or are willing to hire someone who can.

Do you agree with the above? Is copywriting as important as I think it is? You know my opinion. What's yours?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I have to agree with you about that. Even though I'm DOM here and have the responsibility for writing everything that publicizes us, someone else will take a stab at it once in a while. Inevitably the copy is always too long, or too dense, or the point we want to make is lost someone around paragraph four or five.

There's a difference between writing and copywriting. Just knowing the business isn't enough. You have to know how to present it in the right way in print.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Because copy is so important to the success of any business, I'm surprised so many sites and offline marketing are written so poorly. Especially online your copy is your sales team. It's important to get right.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Being a copywriter, I will naturally agree. Here is one of the most important things for any business to consider on the subject: Most copy out in the market is not effectively doing the job. If you don't have the skill yourself, hiring an experienced and skilled copywriter is not only worth the investment, it provides a serious competitive advantage because so few are doing it.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt