Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Twitter Overtake Blogging?

Array

Default Will Twitter Overtake Blogging?

Do you think "microblogging" like Twitter will make longer blogs obsolete?
    Free resources for marketers on a tight budget
    Smart Marketing on Any Budget: http://www.smartmarketing4.me

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Not at all. I think the two are very different. There's only so much you can say in 140 characters no matter how efficiently you write. Imagine writing any how to post on Twitter.

What you might and probably already are seeing is people who only blogged to get out a quick message microblogging as opposed to blogging and you'll see people who were never all that into blogging engaging in microblogging sites, but blogs aren't going anywhere.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I agree with vangogh. Twitter is more like a forced protocol than a blog. Its usefulness is in the protocol that forces everyone to follow the 140 words or less rule. It's great for headline news but not for in depth coverage of things.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't see that happening. You can't explore a subject in detail on Twitter. I can't imagine any blog post I've ever written that would have worked as well on Twitter. Plus, sometimes you need more space to examine a topic in detail.

I think Twitter is a way to introduce short thoughts that lead to longer discussions. Twitter and a blog can compliment each other quite nicely.

Array

All the good points are taken, so I ll just let them stand until something new is said.

I agree with you. Blogging is more indepth, whereas twittering gets a brief message across and can be used to advertise a new blog entry to peek curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Not at all. I think the two are very different. There's only so much you can say in 140 characters no matter how efficiently you write. Imagine writing any how to post on Twitter.

What you might and probably already are seeing is people who only blogged to get out a quick message microblogging as opposed to blogging and you'll see people who were never all that into blogging engaging in microblogging sites, but blogs aren't going anywhere.
    Twitter: ShredderClay Tumblr: Shredder-Clay Recycle with your Paper Shredder, let me give you a few pointers how... use them in crafts, in shipping, in your compost pile....

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Just came across a post from CopyBlogger, Blogging is Dead (Again), which seemed relevant to the conversation so thought I'd share.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

No Twitter won't take over anything, but they are definitely not going anywhere.
    With all the talk on CNN and other news sources about how Iranians are getting pictures and messages out to the world using Twitter, that kind of publicity just made them a solid..same as CNN and the first gulf war.

Of course the situation is a sad state of affairs, but you can't pay for that kind of marketing and promotion.

It took Twitter from a Social Networking toy, to Respected World Wide Messaging and Information Portal in a matter of hours.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think The Whitehouse even recently asked Twitter not to go through with some maintenance that would have taken the site down temporarily since so many people were getting new of Iran via Twitter.

Twitter isn't going anywhere and even if it does something else will fill the space.

Still microblogging is not going to replace blogging. They're two different things each with it's place.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    I think The Whitehouse even recently asked Twitter not to go through with some maintenance that would have taken the site down temporarily since so many people were getting new of Iran via Twitter.
    Yeah they did. I remember thinking that night of how many struggling start ups would have chopped off a finger or two to get that kind of respect and publicity.

That was huge and it launched them further onto the world stage and in the history books forever.