Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Systems: Ring Central vs 8x8, or others

Array

Default Phone Systems: Ring Central vs 8x8, or others

We just started to discuss changing our phone system. Right now we are using VOIP through Comcast and basically have regular phones without a lot of extra features. We are paying about $ 340.00 a month for 4 phone lines, a fax line and an 800 number. I have always liked to see the phone answered by a real person but making the change would save us some money as far as payroll and make the people we have more efficient in that they would not need to answer phone calls that need to go to another person or department. I plan to spend the next 30 days doing some research and then try to get the new system after I get back from a trade show in early January.

Doing an internet search I came across 8x8. There was a recent thread here and Vonage and Ring Central were recommended.

Based on my short time trying to learn about the topic this is where I am at.

1. I used to have Vonage for my home service and liked them. Their website was however the least informative and least helpful.

2. Ring Central seems like it has most of the features I would want. The only thing I didn't like was to get detailed info you pretty much have to give them full contact info and I am not at the stage where I really want to do that.

3. 8x8 had the most informative web site and seemed to offer virtually every feature I would need. The hesitation here is that some of the forum members here have used Vonage and Ring Central and like it and I haven't heard anyone mention 8x8.

I would also be open to looking at other options.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

Both Vonage & 8x8 are solid companies, with great support...$19.99/per extension Unlimited Calling to the US & Canada.....with Vonage I can provide you the Polycom VVX 300 FREE...with 8x8 would be $6/month per extension. Unlimited Fax $19.99/month, 800# $19.99/month both for Vonage & 8x8. If you have any questions feel free to let me know...it sounds you're at the research stage. Minimum bandwidth required 1Mbps up/down speed to run your new telephone system.

Array

Thanks for the feedback Gus. The free Polycom VVX 300 would be a plus for Vonage and I was always happy with Vonage when we had it for our home phone. The wide assortment of phones is also another confusing thing. They have a dozen or more from Polycom, Cisco and others so that is one more thing to sort through. I don't see the option to pay 6 bucks a month for the phone on 8x8, just an option to buy it. Of course free is better than buying but I don't really have a problem with buying the phone and would rather do that then pay per month. Of course Free is even better. We likely will be looking for about 6 corded phones and two cordless with the system we get.

You are correct. I am in the research stage right now. I am going to sort through this for a month and when I get back from a trade show in Baltimore the first full week in January will likely proceed with getting a system.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    3. 8x8 had the most informative web site and seemed to offer virtually every feature I would need. The hesitation here is that some of the forum members here have used Vonage and Ring Central and like it and I haven't heard anyone mention 8x8.

I would also be open to looking at other options.
    I used 8x8 in the past (5+ years ago) and they provided a solid service, however the feature set was slow/tedious to activate. Personally I run my own hardware with FreePBX Installed with a Flowroute.com account, however this would require some technical experience to setup/maintain.

I've seen others use/recommend GrassHopper many times, while I haven't used them myself I do value their feedback so will share their recommendation. They are also a Citrix company now which is a recognized company in the IT industry so things should be pretty solid for you.

[Edit]As far as phones, I love my Aastra (Bought by Mitel) 57I's[/quote]

I've used Vonage residential service for quite a while. They were fine when it was just me. I now have a partner who is about an hour drive from me. Vonage has a feature called simuring. Both of us work out of our house and that feature allow both phones to ring at the same time. Its very buggy. Since activating the simuring, the quality of the connections, call forwarding etc. have been very intermittent. I've had to call them a number of times.

They do have a business service. You can do call transfers and other PBX sort of stuff. The reviews on it are only so so for it. I'd steer clear of Vonage.

Array

Thanks Bill, When I used to have Vonage in my home I looked at their business services and they seemed to be more limited than the other companies I am looking at now. I think that was very good advice and I will most likely not go with Vonage.

Do you have multiple locations? If you do want to have the phone ring at multiple locations give us an update on what you decide on after a few months.

Array

We just have one location Bill. When I do take the plunge I will post some info on how I like it and what features it has that I find useful.

I would also be interested in VoIP that is good enough to work from a foreign country (Panama, maybe Costa Rica). When I turn 65 - I'm about 5 or 6 years from that I'd like to spent winters in Panama and summers in Florida. I've lived in Panama and really like it, but I want to live in the US as well.I don't think VoIP has progressed to the stage of appearing like your are in FL when you are actually in Panama.

Array

That could possibly be done. They can forward calls to your cell phone so they could probably forward calls to a phone anywhere. The other option would be to have international roaming on your cell phone and forward the calls to that. Summers in Florida don't seem to appealing to me. I see Florida as a place I would want to escape from in the Summer. Nice in the winter however. I am not sure if I will ever retire. Perhaps when I have no choice. I am past the 65 mark already so that isn't an option. I would be very bored being retired. Sometimes I think a nice week long or two week long vacation would be nice however.