Thread: Business name opinion

Question Business name opinion

Hello everyone, I have been growing this company for a little while and want an opinion on the name. Thanks!

The over head name is Box Turtle Nation.

The sub names are: Box Turtle Graphics, Box Turtle Gaming, and Box Turtle Productions.

We focus on gaming and video effects, and short films. Does this name fit our services? Is it unique? Will you remember it? Do you personally like it?

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback!

Array

Box Turtle Nation would lead me to believe you are a pet store/supplies for Box Turtles.

If your focus is on video effects and short films, then Box Turtle Productions would be the leader in my opinion.

Banned
    Array

If you're a "name" in the industry, you have flexibility to name your company something crazy, like "Bad Robot", which is a company that has nothing to do with robotics.

But you're likely not a "name". So you have to not hamper your efforts by having to explain your business to people who are too busy to ask you in the first place. Better to name yourself something that people will immediately recognize what you do and the market you're targeting.

So having "Productions" in the name immediately means video or some kind of production of content. That's good. The rest needs work.

The other thing is that "gaming" is pretty broad, so maybe you need to get more focused. What do you really offer? Is it animations, filming, stop-motion video, claymation... be clearer on your target audience.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

For what you do, I like the name. It's as good as any in your field and the trend is names like that. It doesn't become memorable until you do something that is memorable. No one just remembers a name without any association with something worth remembering.

However, the name "BoxTurtle" is only really worth it if boxturtle.com is available, or another extension that you're fine with branding such as a .com, .io. .it, .me, or I'm even fond of .xyz.
    Other than that, if the only way it's available is with the additional word then I'm not a fan.

I know smart money says that having your product or industry in your URL makes for easier branding and marketing. However, in your particular field you're going to have to brand by doing, so in this instance shorter is better and it's a lot more flexible to add any tag line or description without the additional word that defines you. That's just my opinion.

Array

I like the name. But you'll have to make sure you have a great Unique Selling Proposition and slogan so people know what you do.

Look at Apple... they have nothing to do with Apples.

So, build your brand by going out and getting new clients, just don't wait for people to come around building it for you.
    David Hunter | Duke of Marketing | Former Real Estate Agent
    www.DukeOfMarketing.com
    www.BibleAndFriends.com/go/youtube

LOVE the name !!!!!! Very unique and cool. Now a days it's difficult to be something to everyone. BUILD A BRAND, NOT a business. What you do can be explained in the message and your offerings. Be original and don't look back. Good luck !!!!!!
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 10-19-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Please create a signature for yourself in the settings

Array

The overhead name is a bit misleading - I will admit, it makes me think of box turtles crawling around, but with your subcategory names, I think the fit is much better. There's a lot of creativity within that field, but will certainly nail it down for you is how you brand yourself with logos/graphics. This could either go really cutesy or be really interesting.