Thread: Employers - two questions for you

Array

Default Employers - two questions for you

If you were to feel that your business wasn't as much fun as you had hoped;

Or, you feel that your employees are not enjoying their work as much as you (or they) would like;

Or, you don't care whether anyone is happy at work or not, but feel they (and you, perhaps) might be more productive if work was more enjoyable---

... what would you consider doing about it?

And, if you thought to search the web for a solution, what would you search for - what search terms spring to mind?

TIA

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not in that situation, but if I was I think the first thing I would do is try to determine if the situation could be improved or if it would be better to close up the business and do something else. Some people would probably look to improve the situation enough to at least be productive, but I'd likely look for another line of work if I didn't think I could enjoy the business.

I'm not sure where I'd search for a solution. This could be one of those things where you may not realize what the problem is. It might be more something where your search is more spiritual or perhaps seek a psychological cure for depression. What the person would be feeling would be more sadness or apathy and the root cause could be beyond business.

Maybe searches for 'how to enjoy work more' or 'how to create a more enjoyable workplace'
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

It would depend on why. The search terms I used would depend on my perception of the problem.
    Steve B

Array

Thank you, VG,

Steve B - If the things I said, what do you think might be the problem? If you didn't know what the problem was, what would you do? Would you seek help in figuring out the problem?

Array

I think in such a small business as mine - I would know what the problem was (or at least have a strong suspicion). If I didn't, I would ask my employees. I guess it's just too hypothetical for me to give you much of an answer.
    Steve B

Array

I don't employ anyone right now but back when I was a boss... I simply asked what was going on. I'm a bit direct and that is just how I handled situations. Sometimes that direct approach worked out well and I was able to involve my employee in a discussion about the workplace and what we could and needed to do to improve things and other times it backfired...

I'm not exactly sure what I would google if I was trying to find a solution without using my direct approach - possibly employee morale, how to have a productive workplace, encouraging employees to perform at their best, and things like that.

Hope that helps!
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Can't answer the first question...........

But the second? I start generic- small business, perhaps management, and see what buzz words pop up. It is how you find blogs, forums and other tools that might help with a particular question. I would come here for a self-employed question, more than a boss question, because it seems to be trending that way. I might go to a Users group for a CAD question- or hunt for a Quickbooks question.

But there is large overlap- I could come here with an accounting or QB question, and get a better answer than a large users group. It all depends on the question.

Array

Well, one thing I could think of set goals for you, your employees and your business. That should keep you pre-occupied from feeling that your business wasn't as much fun as you had hoped. Besides, if your business is booming and having high volume of Sales... wouldn't you at least be happy?
    Enhance your professional image with customizable business cards/business card designs