Thread: Do I need Trademark for Favicon logo?

Array

Default Do I need Trademark for Favicon logo?

If you don't know what Favicon is, Favicon is a 1x1 logo that are located on the top left of your browser.
    Attachment 690

When I am researching trademark on wipo.com, a lot of business only register the business name as their logo but not the Favicon. Should I register my Favicon as a trademark?

While your trademark could be adapted to be your favicon, a favicon alone would not normally qualify for registration as a trademark.

A trademark must be used to identify goods or services for sale in commerce. Even if your website is a service, it is unlikely that the USPTO would agree that the favicon identifies your goods or services.

By the same token, it is a misconception that a business name is automatically entitled to trademark registration. Yes, most companies use some form of their business name as a trademark, but it is relatively uncommon that the full business name is used as a mark. For example, McDonald's Corporation has several hundred registered trademarks, but "McDonald's Corporation" is not one of them.