Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HR management question

Default HR management question

I have an employee that went to a work related conference that ended 5 hrs into the work day. The employee went home instead of driving an hour to make it into the office. The employee may or may not have worked from home. I am considering writing the employee up for not working the full eight hrs that was filled out on the time card? I have a suspicion this employee has done this same type of thing one time prior.
    What action should I take if any?

Array

My first thought would be to first sit down with the employee and ask how they felt they completed an 8-hour day by attending a 5-hour conference. Perhaps the employee worked overtime another day and didn't write it down. I'm not sure I would have spent an hour in traffic getting to the office only to spend an hour or so at the office before going home, but I'm also not sure I would have declared it an 8-hour day on my time card without first checking to make sure my manager was on board with what I was going to do.
    My LAST action would be to write the employee up, not my first. When I write someone up, it's would be for something that was detrimental to the business that I wanted stopped, not something where the employee who was otherwise doing a great job decided to bend a rule a little.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 39ranger View Post
    I have an employee that went to a work related conference that ended 5 hrs into the work day.
    Right here you say "5 hours into the work day".
    But how long was the conference overall? Did it start 3 hours before "the work day" started?.
    How many non "work day" hours did the employee spend at this conference or traveling to and from it?

The employee went home instead of driving an hour to make it into the office. The employee may or may not have worked from home. I am considering writing the employee up for not working the full eight hrs that was filled out on the time card? I have a suspicion this employee has done this same type of thing one time prior.
    What action should I take if any?
    There should have been some communication between you and the employee on what would happen after the conference, but ( and I'm just spit balling) if I'd gone to a work related conference I'd probably feel like I had a right to go home and get some rest, prepare to report back what I learned at the conference, or whatever I needed to do and show up the next day business as usual.

I think it all lies with how much time he spent there (including travel) overall. If he spent more time there (with travel and expenses) than you're giving him credit for, then you probably owe him some money. If that's the case do you really want to press the 3 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Right here you say "5 hours into the work day".
    But how long was the conference overall? Did it start 3 hours before "the work day" started?.
    How many non "work day" hours did the employee spend at this conference or traveling to and from it?

There should have been some communication between you and the employee on what would happen after the conference, but ( and I'm just spit balling) if I'd gone to a work related conference I'd probably feel like I had a right to go home and get some rest, prepare to report back what I learned at the conference, or whatever I needed to do and show up the next day business as usual.

I think it all lies with how much time he spent there (including travel) overall. If he spent more time there (with travel and expenses) than you're giving him credit for, then you probably owe him some money. If that's the case do you really want to press the 3 hours?
    The conference is about a half hour drive from employees home starting at 7am and ended at 1230. Drive to office from conference depending on traffic 45-1hr. I guess if employee took a lunch 1/2-1hr would have been in office about 2-230 and the work day ends at 330 and would have had the normal daily commute home of 2 hours. Company car provided

I forgot to mention this is a mid level manager with direct supervisory of several employees

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

2 hour commute home from the office?

OK, so the conference was 30 minutes from his home. But the office is 2 hours from his home. You expected him to drive (let's say) 1 hour and 30 minutes to get back to the office to work 1 hour, and then drive 2 hours home? That's your entire 3 hour period that you're claiming he didn't work just in travel time. I wouldn't do that either and I'd actually be a little angry that I was expected to.

I don't know. Sounds a little nit picky to me. Managers typically work more than 40 hours a week throughout the year. Is it really worth the scrutiny?
    I mean is there some other reason why it bothers you? Does this manager take other liberties and this is just one more thing that makes you angry?

I have told this employee I expect 40+ hours per week at the beginning of the employees employment with this company. I also believe in leading by example and don't think the employee is leading by example by going home early

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have told this employee I expect 40+ hours per week at the beginning of the employees employment with this company. I also believe in leading by example and don't think the employee is leading by example by going home early
    Company car? Does that mean company gas too?

Just seems to be with the drive time involved he wouldn't be back in time to work that one hour anyway, and then have to drive back 2 hours. I would probably be Ok with him not driving 2 hours to the office just to work one hour and then turn around and drive 2 hours back. Especially if he could use that 3+ hours drive time to get more work done at home.

Did you need him at the office? Did he miss an important meeting or cost you a deal by not being there that last hour?

All things considered, I probably would have suggested that he work the rest of the day from home. Sometimes just little things like that go appreciated by your team and shows that you are thinking about them, which in turn increases productivity.

Doesn't sound like you're using your resources wisely. What you are saying would have cost you, your manager, and your company more time, money and productivity just to crack the whip. Honestly, where is he more productive? Working from home for a couple of hours? Or commuting for 3 hours?

It's your business. I'm just giving my opinion. Sounds like your mind is made up that he somehow screwed you out of an hour of work after spending all day at a conference and you don't care how much drive time was involved for him to be back at the office for 1 hour, you expected him to do it.
    Then you should have made that clear BEFORE the conference.

Just using common sense, I wouldn't have thought that I was expected to drive 3 1/2 hours round trip just to make a one hour office appearance either. Especially not if I was a manager who consistently works over 40 hours a week year round, and there was no important business in that hour that I had to absolutely be there for.

Array

I had a boss try something similar once.

Company was shutdown for maintenance so I was on holidays. I got a call from the service tech and wasn't able to talk him through the 30 second procedure (that's with me wearing blindfolds and counting the buttons) he needed to do. I had to drive an hour to the shop, clock in, press 1 button, clock out (company rounded clock in time up to the next half hour and and rounded clock out time to the previous half hour) and drive an hour home. I clocked in, did what I needed to do, made sure the tech had all the info, manuals, and bosses personal cell phone number, left without clocking out and drove the hour home.

The following pay period I got called in to explain what happened and why I "forgot" to clock out. The following is a summary of the conversation:
    Boss: You don't get paid to drive to work.
    Me: You're right except when I get called in special and have to cancel plans.
    Boss: Doesn't matter, you're not getting paid for those 2 hours.
    Me: In that case, I guess it might be time for me to start looking elsewhere for work.
    Boss: Multiple expletives, you'd quit in this economy?
    Me: Yes, and I'll have another job by Monday morning working for your competitor.

I got paid and did this a few more times when making a delivery to a customer that was close to my home (paid only for the time it took from my home to their shop and back).

39Ranger, don't forget that your employees do the work that make you money. Sometimes a little leniency can go a long way. If this employee abuses this leniency than steps can be taken but I think you're just splitting hairs and only looking out for yourself and not those you are employing.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

So many questions, a few which I see answered above except for 1...is this employee paid hourly or salary?