Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic website questions

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post

Never host with the company your are registering your domain with. There have been a lot of scams with this

Actually one of the main perpetrators back in the day was Namecheap. That's why I'm so surprised to see people recommending them again as if the last 7 years or so never happened.

I've been registering my new domains with Google and it's pretty smooth. No fluff. No BS. Just registration with free privacy. Admin them from your Google account just like everything else Google.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    BEST DOMAIN REGISTRARS:
    5. NetworkSolutions.com
    4. Register.com
    3. eNom.com
    2. Namecheap
    1. GoDaddy

BEST SHARED HOSTING:
    5. x10Hosting.com
    4. GoDaddy
    3. Inmotion Hosting
    2. Arvixe
    1. HostGator

BEST VPS HOSTING (For more server control/traffic)
    5. VPS.NET
    4. X10VPS.COM
    3. VPSDime
    2. HostGator
    1. Inmotion Hosting

BEST CLOUD HOSTING (Perfect for scalability)
    5. Google Cloud
    4. Inmotion Hosting
    3. Amazon Web Solutions
    2. QuadraNET
    1. Rackspace

BEST DEDICATED SERVER PROVIDERS (for big businesses)
    5. ServerHub
    4. Limestone Networks
    3. Liquid Web
    2. Singlehop
    1. Rackspace

I have personally hosted with all the shared, VPS, and cloud hosting companies (except Rackspace, I have heard from many people they're very good). I have only hosted with Singlehop for dedicated servers. Now, if you want it to be easy and don't have much experience, go with shared hosting. Those companies will help you through the process to help get your site online.
    Is this your personal list or is there a source to link to?

Thank you, Bob Parsons.
    That was funny

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Is this your personal list or is there a source to link to?

That was funny
    Personal list based on experiences, reviews online, support, etc. Rackspace took the last two due to their support as GoDaddy took #1 because of their docs and how easy their DNS management is.

I have over 10 domains all registered under GoDaddy, as for web hosting well, I am my own web hosting business
    Last edited by MateoKingler; 08-09-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by MateoKingler View Post
    I have over 10 domains all registered under GoDaddy, as for web hosting well, I am my own web hosting business
    Your profile picture totally didn't give that away

Array

It sometimes seems to me that the hosting company that everyone recommends one year is the one everyone is saying to avoid a few years later. HostGater would be an example of this. I believe the ownership has changed which is probably why the change in sentiment. They used to be a company that everyone liked and now I hear more negative than positive. Still if you pick a host that is good and the ownership changes it is sort of a pain to keep switching. I would suggest people avoid what I have done. I have 16 domains with GoDaddy, 3 or 4 with Network Solutions (who I really don't like much) and one or two other places. I have hosting accounts with maybe 6 or 7 places. It is a real pain to keep up with what is where and I would strongly suggest you find one domain place and one hosting company and stay there. I really think everyone has given me good service however and I haven't had problems with any of them.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    It sometimes seems to me that the hosting company that everyone recommends one year is the one everyone is saying to avoid a few years later. HostGater would be an example of this. I believe the ownership has changed which is probably why the change in sentiment. They used to be a company that everyone liked and now I hear more negative than positive. Still if you pick a host that is good and the ownership changes it is sort of a pain to keep switching. I would suggest people avoid what I have done. I have 16 domains with GoDaddy, 3 or 4 with Network Solutions (who I really don't like much) and one or two other places. I have hosting accounts with maybe 6 or 7 places. It is a real pain to keep up with what is where and I would strongly suggest you find one domain place and one hosting company and stay there. I really think everyone has given me good service however and I haven't had problems with any of them.
    HostGator was the first paid hosting company I was with due to their 1 cent hosting. Nothing was wrong with them other than the fact live chat wait times are usually 30 - 60 minutes and their prices are a little up there. If those two issues were resolved they'd be a good company.

Your profile picture totally didn't give that away
    I could be a party hosting business for all you know

Array

Quote Originally Posted by MateoKingler View Post
    I could be a party hosting business for all you know
    Well when you host a big party be sure to invite all of us. I could use a good party right now.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Discount Prodigy
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    Well when you host a big party be sure to invite all of us. I could use a good party right now.
    I'll provide the DJ. ;D