Thread: ... Retail????

Array

Default ... Retail????

I have a few in house fabrication projects coming up next week and I decided to start buying supplies and parts that I know I'm going to be needing. My shopping list consisted of:

1) 24 ft of 1"x1" 10-12 gauge stainless steel tube, grade not critical
    2) 10lb roll of stainless steel mig welding wire and small tank of proper gas
    3) 6 x 6" c-clamps
    4) 4-6 x 4" c-clamps

It's a simple order aside from the tube. Most farm/welding supply stores should carry everything but the tubing and I should be able to get that from my local steel supplier. I can't believe how wrong I was.

1) I had to settle for 19 gauge unknown grade stainless tube (yay mystery metal) since I can't wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.
    2a) Had to contact a local welder and buy the wire from him.
    2b) Have to change my process from mig to tig since I can't get the gas any quicker than the tube (two of these places never heard of tri-mix welding gas).
    3 & 4) Had to go to 3 different stores for the clamps and still only found half of what I wanted. Not to mention that at 2 stores the employees there didn't know what a c-clamp is (tried to sell me U-bolts).

Being told that they will only bring in these "specialty" items on an as ordered basis was frustrating as I live in the dairy capital of Canada and there are countless backyard fabricators here.

I understand that companies are reducing inventories and these retailers are entry level jobs, but this was just ridiculous.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

Array

Brad, did you try a welding supply house (gas distributor). We have a number of them around here and would think you would too and they would have everything except the tubing.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

Array

We don't have any dedicated welding supply houses locally. We have 2 major companies that control the bulk of the welding supplies and they only deal through depots attached to other businesses. I only deal with them if I have no other choice. I tried both of them to find what I needed and came up empty. I'll just slap my argon tank on and tig up everything - I could use the practice anyhow. Worst case scenario, I'll silver braze everything.

I only know of one "family owned" outfit (bought both of my welders off them), but their truck comes by once a month and he was here this past Monday.

What really got me going was being offered u-bolts instead of c-clamps at an international farm supply store. I'm good at puzzles but I still haven't figured out how to make the bolts work. Not to mention the store's lack of anything, aside from clothes and toys, on the shelf.
    Brad Miedema
    Fulcrum Saw & Tool

I'm shocked by the C clamps fiasco. I already have a drawer full of clamps in my work bench (mostly bought at estate auctions) so I haven't had to look at the local Home Depot or Lowes, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't have a sizable stock of them and employees who know the difference between a C clamp and a U bolt.