Thread: The Forum Has A New Mobile Theme

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Default The Forum Has A New Mobile Theme

Hey All,

I just discovered that the last time I upgraded the forum a new mobile theme appeared. I set it up to be the default theme for mobile devices, though I'm not quite sure how vBulletin determines what's mobile and what's desktop.

Regardless, the new mobile theme should be working so if you want to check in while on your phone or tablet, it should be a lot easier now. No more pinching and zooming to read anything.

There's one caveat. I leave the site open on my phone and tablet and after setting up the mobile theme I was still seeing the desktop theme. I think it's because the forum set a cookie indicating I wanted the full site. If you see the full site on your phone or tablet, scroll to the very bottom of the page. Look in the bottom left and you should see vB Default Style. Change it to Default Mobile Style and you'll see the mobile theme. It shouldn't change how you see the site on a desktop, but if you do see the mobile theme on your desktop after making the change, I'm guessing you can follow instructions in reverse and set it back.

Let me know if you're having problems and what you think of the theme. I haven't checked it out beyond the home page yet, but will when I get a chance.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

I still use the full site layout on mobile simply because I find it easier to get around. On the forum I run, last time I checked we ran about 60% of mobile users on the mobile theme, so some people like it.

If for some reason the dropdown switcher doesn't work for you, you can append the following to the URL to switch themes:

?styleid=3 for the normal theme
    ?styleid=4 for the mobile theme

Just noting that because I've seen it randomly not work on my forum before. It might be load related, though, but I've never bothered to debug since it only generates one complaint every 3-4 months.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I guess you don't mind pinching and zooming a little. I'll have to see how many people use the mobile theme once it's been running awhile. About 25% of people in general get here through some mobile device. I'll be curious to see if that changes with a mobile theme. I have a feeling more people will prefer a mobile theme to the full desktop theme, but I'll find out.

Thanks for reminding me about the urls.

If vBulletin is running the forum then random things not working is the norm. After one upgrade you couldn't use the % sign. It would get converted to gibberish. We all had to type out percent until I could find a fix for it.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals