Thread: Android Development and Programming

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default Android Development and Programming

Around the I/O Google announced Android Developers Courses in partnership with Udacity. I started taking one about a week ago.
    It's actually very interesting and I think it's going to go well.

I'm also eyeballing the introduction to Python class, but after I get over the half way hump with the first class.

I'm not looking to develop apps as a service, but there are a few ideas I've had for a while and I need to know how to do for myself.

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum develops or tinkers with developing mobile apps, or is interested in it.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Banned
    Array

So it took weeks to respond, but suddenly it's timely. I have THREE clients looking to us to do mobile apps. We're looking at cross-platform toolkits, just because it'll hopefully save us some time getting an app on the big three platforms without hopefully sacrificing features.

Any insights are appreciated.

PhoneGap has been used on several projects that I've worked on. I can't speak for the developer experience on it because I didn't work directly with it.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have no suggestions either as I'm still in the learning phase. It'll be a couple of months before I'm proficient enough to build anything worthy of going in the Play Store.
    I don't know how good the cross platform solutions are, but I saw an app that my buddy uses to track his beer tasting as a PhoneGap example and it works well.

Banned
    Array

I've spent the afternoon reading and the common threads I'm finding are:

PhoneGap: you can do it on all desired platforms, but it doesn't give you enough help for cross-platform issues, so expect to have to learn how to do that.
    Xamarin: you can do it for iOS, Android, and Windows; and you can even use a typed language like C# to simplify development. It has more to load at startup, so it's slower to get going, but once going is native-fast.
    Titanium: deployment can get expensive, the UI will be painful to create, only works with iOS, Android and Blackberry.

Telerik is working on NativeScript, which offers a way to do cross-platform javascript on mobile devices, but it still feels early (was just announced a few months ago). They also have their mobile platform offering, but I'm not seeing a lot of reviews of it, so not sure.

I'm not in love yet with any of them.

I have an interest in this subject too. I would like to be able to develop my own app as well for game start stores... good luck with your course bro.
    Michael Elliott, MBA
    http://gamestartstores.com
    Want to open a video game store? I can help! Check my site for max detail!