Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: website hosting

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

No reason you shouldn't try. Think about ways you can provide more value than a typical web host. You're not going to win based on price and volume. If you can come up with a way to add something more you should be able to charge more as well.

Also look into specializing. Lately you'll see hosts offering what they claim is WordPress hosting or something similar. I'm guessing it comes with a free install and includes everything needed to run WordPress. Not that you'd have to do the same, but maybe look for a way to offer specialty hosting.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Thats a good idea, and right oafter I ran to godaddy for wphost.com, gone!

Now, I will have to stop be more creative.

Array

So, I was pondering a domain name to use. Is using a Web 2.0 name a bad idea?

Like Quadel or Mudel? Good or bad? Both these domains are taken, so nothing to lose.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

As long as it's easy to say, remember, and spell you should be fine. Hosting is very competitive so if you do want to pick up search traffic you may want to get the word hosting in the domain.

You may also want to choose something that describes the business in some way. Again using hosting comes to mind, but beyond that say you were using servers that were more energy efficient and your company was environmentally friendly. You might then want to get "green" in the name or something similar.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

The problem I am caught between is finding a name and placing "host" in it. Although I know of a successful hosts that dont incorporate 'host' into their name. ie) media temple, mosso and others.

This is not to say, I dont agree. Its hard to get host and a domain which isnt being held by a cybersquatter or a defunct company.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

You should be able to get hosting in there. Take the two names you mentioned above. I'm sure quadelhosting and mudelhosting would be available. You don't need to get hosting in there, but know that sites like media temple and mosso already have a brand and their names are known. Your name won't be known at first so if you can capture some search traffic around the word hosting it might be a good idea.

In the end it's more important to make sure the name is easy to say, remember, and spell.

Array

True. I will keep searching about for something.