Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help get new members

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the club Joel. I guess they banned you because you were a mod over there and are now here. Shows they're paying attention to what we're doing and are checking us out.

It's all kind of childish, but whatever. It's their forum. They can do what they want I guess. I think they'd be better to focus on making their forum better instead of worrying about us, but what do I know.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I didn't realize Joel was a mod. That probably explains it.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Yeah i was a moderator over there. I do not know when the ban went on probably sometime in the last week though, because i posted earlier this week. Just tried access in IE and can see the page not logged in so must be a username ban and i was logged in on both the computers i tried.
    Last edited by orion_joel; 08-16-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Refugee from the .com
    Array

I can't help but wonder if others there are going to notice that some of the "oldest" members with high post levels are getting banned and wonder what's going on. I think what you said, vangogh, about them focusing on their forum instead of us would be better. The irony is, they don't need to ban us. I for one have no interest in going back anyway. If they're afraid we're going to "steal" more members, that's all the more reason they should be working to improve their forum.

With the original reason for this thread in mind, I'm sure most of us here got to know a few people well enough that you have email addresses. Those people are sure to wonder what happened and letting them know about this new SBF will give them the opportunity to rejoin the community. In addition, we can all find others to invite that weren't members because many of them would probably want to join us too. We can see that the word is getting out, and that's very much appreciated.
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

To be honest, I sort of got turned off when I got a PM through the old .com forum sort of giving me a hard time for still posting there.

I don't like it as much as I did, and I appreciate what you guys are doing, but I have no intention of abandoning it at this time.

I may if they don't fix the "remember me" login deal, however.

I really didn't like being scolded.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Ouch, pete. I don't know who that was and probably don't want to know. But I can say this, that is not what I want to see at all. We want this to be the best forum, but I don't have any problem with the old SBF being successful too. They made a serious blunder, but the Internet is a big place and there's room for both of us. If they learned something valuable and use it to turn their forum around, fine, but I hope our members will be above "scolding" anyone for participating in the old SBF. That's not why we're here.
    Steve Chittenden

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

@Joel - I can understand why they would take away our moderator privileges, but the bans seem silly.

@Pete - Sorry if you got PMs suggesting you were doing something wrong for posting on the old forum. I don't think that was any of our intentions. For me this was simply about the old forum being neglected and people wanting a better place for the community.

I think there's room for both forums to survive and thrive.

However I think if the old forum wants to survive and thrive it needs more attention than it's been getting. My sense is it won't get that attention, but you never know. In fact I think the only reason it's gotten any at all the last week or so is because of us.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

"I'm sure most of us here got to know a few people well enough that you have email addresses."

I think that's a good idea. I know a lot of the regulars are not even checking the old site anymore. In one case, I went to the guys website and found his e-mail that way.

The total number of members has been growing - slowly but surely.
    Steve B

It has surprised me some of the people that didn't come. I suspect in some cases it was people that posted for increasing post count and link dropping and may blame this forum for the demise of the old one. Anyone ever check to see if the old form dropped in the SERPS relative to say 6 months ago?

Not a big deal, I blew it off.

And no one in this particular thread.

Now why don't one of you graphical types come up with a little banner link?