Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have a Writing Ritual?

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default Do You Have a Writing Ritual?

I can write almost anywhere at any time. I do know that some people have certain things they need to have before they feel comfortable writing. Does anyone here have a writing ritual? If so, how does that ritual help you? If not, have you trained yourself to write whatever the situation?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I have habits, but I wouldn't call them ritual. When I use pen and paper I do like to use my favorite pen. I'm not sure if that counts.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I don't really have a specific ritual, however i have some quirks that are slightly outside the box.

First i don't like writing with pen and paper, i can type much faster then i can write, and even when typing i often have trouble keeping up with my thought process. So i almost never write, if i have a computer available. The only time i will write is when i am trying to have a lot of organic thoughts that are short and quick to write, that i want to be able to look over and add to on the go.

Secondly, i prefer to write on a laptop, i prefer the feel of the keyboard and tend to actually type quicker due to less resistance of the keys. I am not quite sure why i developed this quirk but it is something that works for me so i am not going to stop now.

Lastly, i find that i need to get the inspiration to write, i cannot sit down at anytime and force myself to come up with a topic and write about it. I need to come up with the topic and then start writing about it. This is why sometimes i will make a lot of short responses to posts, and sometimes you will get longer stories in reply, it depends how the other posts inspire what i have to say on the topic.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

Pen and paper have long been history for me. It's embarassing how bad and slow my handwriting has gotten over the years - not to mention the degradation of my spelling.

I tend to try to capture my thoughts as quickly as possible - then re-write, re-write, and re-write some more. If I'm smart - just when I think it's completely done - I'll come back to it a couple days later and re-write it again. Also, I tend to write best when I first wake up in the morning.
    Steve B

Array

I feel almost incapable of writing anything unless I make it a mental conversation. For the words to flow (ie. something more than a mere list of ideas), there has to be someone else on the receiving end, even if I have to imagine that soneone. I think this serves to make my writing more conversational, which I like.

Being a member of Toastmasters International and gearing my thoughts for speech-making, my pre-writing, thinking stage usually begins in my mind as, "Thank you, Mr.Toastmaster..." And this usually takes place walking around a tree in my backyard on, what I call, the dog's race track!

Yes, that probably counts as a ritual!

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I always find it interesting to learn how other people go about creating a written piece.

I'm like Joel in that I tend to think faster than I can write by hand. I almost always use a computer now, as I type much faster than I can write. I can't remember the last time I wrote something other than a thank you note by hand.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's interesting how many people find typing easier than pen and paper. I do too and for the same reason. It's quicker. My mind still goes faster than I can type, but I generally type faster than I write by hand. However I do want to offer some support for our old friends, pen and paper.

While it might be easier to type on your keyboard, it's unlikely you can take your keyboard everywhere. Sometimes pen and paper might be all you have to record thoughts. I carry around a Moleskine notebook with me most places I go so as to not lose thoughts and ideas.

You can improve the speed at which you write if you practice. One of the reasons most of us type faster is because we type more often. Not the only reason, but the point is if you write more the speed of your writing increases.

There's a very different physical action to typing and writing. Typing is banging on keys. Writing is more flowing. The difference in physical actions can subtly alter your thinking producing a difference in what you end up with.

With pen and paper I'll sometimes be recording thoughts at a slower pace, but at times that's desired. It gives me an opportunity to picture what I'm thinking more. I'll often add sketches when writing by hand which opens up new possibilities in the ideas you record.

I'm with all of you that when I'm writing something for publication, typing is a lot faster and since for me it's going to end up online most of the time anyway it's going to get typed at some point, but I'd encourage people to grab pen and paper from time to time as well.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I edit as I write, and I'm trying hard to break the habit. I've stopped writing on paper too. Now I only use paper for taking notes.

Can't say I have any rituals, however.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Sometimes it's hard not to edit while writing. I did a lot of free writing in the past to help me break the habit to a degree, but it's still tough not to want to go back and fix things as you're writing.

Array

I never edit until I'm done with something. Then I usually walk away for awhile (and maybe leave it overnight.) Then I edit once. That's almost always all it takes.

As far as a ritual... IMHO, that's more for creative writing / fiction. Not that what I do isn't creative (it certainly is), but I don't have time to get inspired, etc. If someone needs something, I have to be able to do it.

Kristine - how can I get my sig like yours? It yells at me after three lines...
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here