Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sales tax in Texas

It's a service contractor which is part of my business operations so I can't just shop elsewhere that easily. I asked them before and they said they apply taxes to everyone regardless where they are from. They didn't before, but they do after a merger.

I will try to see if getting a Texas sales permit will give me exemption or not.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kuikui View Post
    It's a service contractor which is part of my business operations so I can't just shop elsewhere that easily. I asked them before and they said they apply taxes to everyone regardless where they are from. They didn't before, but they do after a merger.
    So is the issue that you don't think they know what they're talking about and you should be exempt, or that you think they are applying taxes to their customers unfairly?

I don't know international tax law. If you have documentation that says you should be exempt from paying sales tax, present that to them. Are you saying that's what you have, verification that you should be exempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    So is the issue that you don't think they know what they're talking about and you should be exempt, or that you think they are applying taxes to their customers unfairly?

I don't know international tax law. If you have documentation that says you should be exempt from paying sales tax, present that to them. Are you saying that's what you have, verification that you should be exempt?
    I don't know to be honest.

There is a Annual Resale Certificates in Florida, which means that if you show this to a business you don't pay sales taxes as the products are resold or used as part of reselling.

But I don't know if that only applies to Florida companies or other states as well.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kuikui View Post
    I don't know to be honest.

There is a Annual Resale Certificates in Florida, which means that if you show this to a business you don't pay sales taxes as the products are resold or used as part of reselling.

But I don't know if that only applies to Florida companies or other states as well.
    OK, now I'm starting to get it.

Try calling the Texas department of taxation ( not sure what it's really called). Texas is supposedly "pro business" lately. Maybe there is some kind exemption.
    Can't hurt to ask.

I found this FAQ of merchants asking about taxes on good shipped to international customers:
    FAQ: Texas Sales Tax

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    OK, now I'm starting to get it.

Try calling the Texas department of taxation ( not sure what it's really called). Texas is supposedly "pro business" lately. Maybe there is some kind exemption.
    Can't hurt to ask.

I found this FAQ of merchants asking about taxes on good shipped to international customers:
    FAQ: Texas Sales Tax
    Thanks, I will ask, that link is also very helpful.