Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you spend on advertising?

When we first opened I advertised everywhere. I did radio, tv, newspaper, tourist maps. You name I did it. Over time I found what actually worked and what didn't. Funny enough, usually the least expensive advertising worked best for us.

Aaron

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised that the least expensive advertising paid off the best. Just a guess, but because it's less expensive did you take out more ads on a more consistent basis?

I think some try to put too much advertising budget into one big ad to make a big splash, when really the smaller ad that you can repeat over time will generally have the greater success.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Just a guess, but because it's less expensive did you take out more ads on a more consistent basis?
    I didn't buy more ads but I do stay consistent with the ads and I think that can be more helpful than anything. Our tv commercial runs at least twice a day, every day and only costs me $120/month. Then I do a very small newspaper ad that's on the front page of every Saturdays paper and that runs me $35/Saturday. Also, since we're in a tourist town I chose one tourist map (there are about 4 or 5) and have had an ad in that for a few years that runs me $50/month. There are a couple times of year when I'll do something special in the newspaper but for the most part what I just mentioned is all I do. That doesn't include my Adwords campaign though...what I spend on that is not for public knowledge.

Aaron

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I can see where your advertising would work. I bet the newspaper ad on the front reinforces your name for everyone making any other ad more likely to stand out. Makes sense to be on the tourist map given your store.

What are some of the things that didn't work?

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Trying different things and seeing what works then dropping what doesn't to invest more in what does.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

What are some of the things that didn't work?
    Radio didn't really work. You need frequency with radio and the more frequent you play your spot the more it costs. You have to sell a lot of hats just to break even. I'm sure it helped get our name out in the long run but it can be a big pill (or bill) to swallow. We have also done ads in theatre/concert programs and those never work. I finally learned that if I want to support the event or charity I can place an ad as a donation but it doesn't work as advertising. I've also done lots of newspaper advertising but find the tiny ad we do on the front page can be just as effective as a 1/4 or 1/2 page ad.

Aaron

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've heard that about radio. I've read about a few tricks with radio advertising such as never going for their price and waiting till it's closer when you want the spot to air. They need to fill the spots so at the right time you can get the price down in half. Or so I've heard. I never thought my business lent itself to radio advertising.

I wonder if you just kept supporting events and charities without it being an add if over time people would notice and you'd see more business.

I remember reading in the original Guerilla Marketing book that small ads repeated consistently were much better than larger ads that appeared less frequently.

Array

I've heard that about radio. I've read about a few tricks with radio advertising such as never going for their price and waiting till it's closer when you want the spot to air. They need to fill the spots so at the right time you can get the price down in half. Or so I've heard. I never thought my business lent itself to radio advertising.

Your absolutely right... but this can be a double edged sword in times when you absolutely have to advertise something and the best station is sold out.

This is where having an expert(ahem: shameless plug) that keeps relationships open with the media and knows how to negotiate the best deals. People who do this for a living are able to get deals the average business owner will never be able to, because the media knows we're representing multiple clients(more lines of business). Good media buyers can get deals for their client that (even with the cost of hire) will be more efficient than what a business owner can do on their own.

BTW a honest media buyer will walk away from a deal where he or she can't do a better job than their client.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org